Just friends? pt3

(Ishan's dialogues will be in italics.
Shubman's dialogues will be in bold.)

Ishan's pov

"Shub please."
"Please what?"
"I thought you were behaving normally. You met me like you always did."
"That was just to keep up appearances Ishan. I couldn't have the others thinking there was something wrong between us, could I?"
"Why does it even matter what they think?"

"It never did to me, but it always did to you."
And I couldn't disagree with that. We both weren't ready to come out to the world and we probably would never be due to the homophobia in India. But he had wanted to tell our family and friends and I had refused it. I wasn't  ready to come out and he was okay with that, but this fight between us was making every single little argument between us, resurface in a bitter form.

"We can tell everyone if that's what you want."
"I don't need you to do me this huge favor Ishan."
"I'm not doing it as a favor-"
"Whatever Ishan. Now I don't want anyone to know about us."
"Ok, but atleast talk to me."
"Like I said, I'm tired Ishan."
"Then why did you even agree to come here with me? "

He didn't reply to that and instead got up and went inside the bathroom to freshen up. After he came out, I went to freshen up before coming back to see him already in bed.
"Why did you agree to come here Shub?"
"I don't feel like talking Ishan"
"You had perfect excuses to deny and no one would even suspect it because you're the captain of GT now Shub, then why?"

I got no response and I gave that up.
"Shub I wanted to apologize-"
"For what Ishan?"
"For saying that I was tired of you, I'm not. I was just tired mentally. I'm sorry, I shouldn't have taken it out on you."
He didn't say anything to that for a while and I actually thought that he might have fallen asleep, until he moved a little more towards the edge of the bed, away from me and I figured out he was awake.

"Why didn't you come to Gujarat earlier, like you promised?"
"Do you even realize what you did Ishan?"
"I know I shouldn't have said I was tired of you-"
"That's not it. You didn't even bother to call me back after you had calmed down. After you had realized you had made a mistake. You didn't talk to me for about two weeks Ishan. No calls, no texts, no apologies, nothing. Hell, you didn't even call to ask why I hadn't showed up to Gujarat like I had promised."

I was silent after that, I knew I had made a mistake by doing that. By not calling him back right away. By not asking him about why he hadn't showed up and by not speaking to him for two weeks.
"I shouldn't have ignored you, I know that but I didn't know how to face you."
"Do you even realize how it must have felt? My boyfriend told me he was tired of me and then ignored me for two whole weeks."
"I thought I would meet you and sort things out in person. I'm sorry."
"I'm tired Ishan."

I didn't know if he meant he was tired of the situation, he was tired due to today's practice or he was tired of me. We fell asleep on different sides of the bed that night, but somehow still managed to wake up entangled with each other, cuddling in the morning, with my head on his chest and his arms around my waist. I tried to move out of his hold, fearing that he would get more annoyed finding me in this position after what we were currently going through.

His hold was too tight though, I struggled to get out of his grip but I was unsuccessful. I accidentally woke him up instead, by my constant moving. He opened his eyes groaning a little for waking him up and looked at me confused.
"What's the time?"
"It's 6."
Either he hadn't realized our positions yet or he maybe had but the fight hadn't dawned upon him yet. Whatever it was he finally came a little out of his sleepy state and realized and detangled himself from me, before going to freshen up.

After he came out, I sat there staring at him. He didn't say anything and I watched him remove his shirt, to change. I stared at his abs, he looked so gorgeous. I knew I was drooling and I also knew it was completely inappropriate with the situation we were in currently but I couldn't help it. I had seen him after three whole months. If it had been any other day, he would've teased me about my drooling, but not today.

"We have practice at 7."
He reminded me and I instantly stopped my drooling session and trailed my eyes back to him face. His face looked devoid of any emotions and I blushed embarrassed and ran to the bathroom to freshen up. Shub ignored me the whole of Saturday and then Sunday arrived. It was match day. He was back to being 'normal' again. 'Keeping up appearances' and chatting to me like we were the best of friends and I played along. After the match they had to leave right away as they had their second match with CSK.

He just hugged me casually, like he did with the other MI players and left. I felt like crying but I couldn't do anything. The next time we met was during the IPL final between RR and GT. I had gone to watch the match with the others as it was his first year as captain and his team was in the finals. GT lost the finals though, but Shub tried his best. He gave his everything and he batted really well too. I wanted to comfort him and also apologize so I went to his room.

I entered and I saw him sitting there, I didn't know I was about to get a huge shock. He sat there with Jaiswal hugging him. It looked like he was comforting him.
"Shub."
He didn't respond though he just sat there with Jaiswal still hugging him and Shub's head hidden in his chest. Jaiswal looked up at me and as we made eye contact he just gave me a little nod, pulling away from Shub.

"All the best Shubman. You can do it." said Jaiswal as he nodded at Shub a little. Shub looked up at him and nodded back brokenly. I looked at them confused as to what they were talking about.
"Do what?" I asked Jaiswal but he just patted my shoulder before leaving the room. I turned to look around at Shub ready to ask what this was about but when I saw him curled up in a ball, crying, I forgot all about it. I went closer to Shub, to try and comfort him but he spoke up, halting me from making any further movements.

"Ishan, I can't do this."

________________________________________

Cliffhanger hihiiii