FOURTEEN

“What do you want?” His voice echoed through the speaker as my breath got stuck in my larynx but the expecting eyes of Suzi and Areej made me clear my threat. Areej just rolled her eyes as she spoke up before he could hang up the phone out of frustration.

“Do you think I have patience for this?” His grumpy voice erupted making me gulp and Areej to make faces at the phone.

“Your wife wants to talk to you about something.” She informed as there was utter silence from the other side of the phone. He must have hated the word used by Areej…your wife.

“What is it?” After a while he asked again but this time it seemed like I had all his attention towards me. My palms got sweaty as I hated the fact that being a daughter of a strong independent woman, I still got panicked by just his authoritative voice. He had that affect one me or might be it was the fact that I was never around men before.

“I-I…” I trailed off as Suzi and Areej were looking at me with those rounded eyes as to warning me to complete the sentence in one minute.

“Can I go to the beach with Suzi and Areej?” I asked as I immediately closed my eyes although expecting to be something good and of just the beep of call ending.

“Why do you want to go?” He asked as if I felt he twitched his tongue but that was just my thought as how could he have any other expression other than that of the scary one. I looked at Areej and Suzi for help as they started thinking about a good reason to go to the beach that couldn’t irk the nerves of this…I think he is a business man. A person with a job couldn’t make such amount of money.

“I just…want to go.” I blurted out as I didn’t have any other thing to come in my mind but that made both of the girls to spank their foreheads with their palms. I assumed that wasn’t the good reason.

“Fine.” He said after few seconds. “Anything else?” He asked and Suzi’s and Areej’s faces were like as if they had seen a ghost. They weren’t expecting that neither did I.

“No.” I said as I was about to say thank you when Areej ended the call.

“I had to before he could change his mind.” She grinned sheepishly as I just smiled with a relief. Now I had his permission so I could finally go.

“Fine. Let’s go shopping.” Areej said as she took my hand in her to drag me out of the kitchen but my eyes widened when I realized that I didn’t ask for this from him.

I urged Areej about this but she shrugged off saying he wouldn’t know that and besides I needed shopping but other than that how could I do shop when I don’t have money.

“Leave it. My father takes a lot of money from your husband and that money eventually comes to me.” I denied her to take anything for me but she was Areej…second name of being stubborn.

We entered so many shops and Areej bought a ton of things for the beach as we entered Sephora only for Suzi and Areej to go haywire.

Both were testing and buying a lot of stuff although I knew nothing about of make-up but they both were buying useless stuff as if they were in Sephora then had to buy something or otherwise there would be no meaning of their lives.

“This shade would look good on you.” I assumed that Suzi was spending all her salary on make-up or The Shah’s were paying her enough to buy diamonds. Suzi came forward as she made me test the vinyl gloss that suited me perfectly. I liked that too as it went perfectly with my peach skin. Later on, I ended up buying a tint and brown colored mascara.

We spent half an hour in there as the staff there knew Areej so they were kind and good to us making us test their every good product.

“We should eat something now.” We all were tired as it was past maghrib time when we decided to go to the food court.