Chapter 63

When I woke up I found my mom standing right in front of me, holding my hand, crying, as she endlessly repeated my name.

My throat was sore and I was barely able to make a word.

"Mom?"

My mom kept speaking to me but I was totally somewhere else. My stomach ached like nothing I've experienced before. I hadn't realized I was wearing a cervical collar until I tried to turn to the side in an failed attempt to get water.

A doctor came in, and my mother kept saying things to me. I lasted no more than a few minutes before I fell asleep again.

The next time I woke up my head was buzzing like crazy and it wouldn't stop. I don't know if it was this bad when I first woke up and ignored it due to my tiredness or it simply appeared just now. Either way, I felt like a hundred aspirin wouldn't help in this situation.

I tried to stand up but groaned in pain as I tried. My abdomen abstained me from getting up. I hold the robe I was wearing all the way up to my ribs and found a pack of bandages rounding my belly. I placed a hand over it and felt the same ache as before. I knew it was beyond bruised behind the bandage without needing to take it off.

"What do you think you're doing?" My mom's voice echoed through the room. She stood at the door with a tray of food in her hands.

"Mom"

"Sit back down Ashley" She hurried to me, leaving the tray on a nearby table, and helped me up again "The doctor said complete rest until he says otherwise"

"What time is it?" I found myself asking. My mom frowned at me, clearly confused.

"It's about 8:00am sweetie" She used that calm tone she always used when she wanted to convince me to do something.

The time didn't quite fit to the time in my head.

"You've been asleep for a long while. You were in an accident but you're okay now" She answered my thoughts.

I knew I had an accident. I knew exactly what I was doing at the time and who was I looking for, which was the same person my mind was wildly thinking about without my consent. I forced myself not to ask about him even though I was dying to know if he was here, if he wanted to see me.

Hours passed and the headache eased. I had more than enough time to speak to my mother, who apparently was the only one allowed to my room since I hadn't seen any familiar faces but hers and the nurse's. After my mom reminded me countless of times how lucky I was to be here, she stared asking questions about the accident. As much as I'd like to know how it happened, all I remembered was a blazing light and then nothing. As to why I was in the middle of the road in the middle of the night, I said nothing. As soon as that question popped her mouth, countless of memories flash through my mind and they were enough to make me not want to think about it anymore.

"Your friends have been out here for a very long time, you know" She said once we were silent.

The thought of Austin being out there, waiting for me, made my heart twitch in excitement.

"Why didn't you tell me! I thought you were the only one here" I was growing tired of being on this bed and it had only been a few hours.

"Visiting hours weren't until 10:00am. Your friends could do nothing but wait"

I carefully stared at the clock on the bedside table, feeling like a robot since I could not move my neck freely.

"It's way past ten mom!" My voice grew louder in both impatience and excitement.