Chapter 55

Chapter 55

I remained lying on the cemetery for a long time; I think I even cried most of it. I tried to think of multiple ways to turn this around without screwing everything up.

Brad had told me he had Jake as a hostage and would harm him if I didn't do as he said. He wanted me to stay away from Austin just to hurt him. He was using me.

I just wanted to go to Austin and tell him everything even though Brad said I couldn't. It was better to have him on my side and help me take Brad down, instead of sticking with Brad and lie to Austin.

I couldn't stop thinking about Jake. How was he at this very moment? How did I not realize something was wrong the moment I noticed he wasn't around? How am I supposed to help him?

I felt like my head could explode at any second, so I stood up and walked back home.

As I arrived I decided I would go straight to Austin and tell him about Brad before he could do anything about it. Without even asking I took my mom's keys and jumped in her car. As I drove, my mind was rehearsing the exact words I would say to him. I got interrupted by the sound of my phone, I took a quick glance at it and saw Austin's name on the screen. I instantly picked up.

"Austin" I said as soon as I answered.

"Hey" He said "You sound-"

"I need to talk to you" I cut him off "I am driving to your house as we speak"

"Okay?" I could hear the confusion on his voice "What is this about?"

"Why didn't you answer your phone before?" If he would've picked up his phone before I went to the cemetery none of this would've happened. "Where were you?"

"You called?" He asked.

"Three times"

"I didn't get them, but what was that for?"

"I needed your help. I'll tell you when I get here"

"Are you alright? What happened?" He insisted.

"I am almost there. Wait for me" I hung up and placed my phone aside. I could barely drive, let alone drive and use the phone at the same time.

The same ringtone from seconds ago filled the silence. As my eyes were on the road I picked up again.

"I told you I was almost there" I answered.

"Where do you think you are going?" Brad's voice came in. "I thought I was clear"

My voice got stuck on my throat, and for a second I thought about hanging up.

"What are you talking about?" I tried to sound casual.

"Do you really want to do this Ashley?" His voice was annoying and angry "I have people watching you, do you think I am stupid?"

I stopped at a red light and leaned my head on the wheel.

"I am not-"

"I could kill Jake at this very moment if you're going to be of no use to me" He cut me off.

"Don't" I instantly answered.

"Take the next turn back around and go home" He instructed.

I felt like crying.

The light went green.

"Do it" He repeated.

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath before going and making a U turn.

"Please don't hurt Jake" I begged.

"I won't give you another warning Ashley, I promise this is the last time" He warned "If you try to contact Austin, even by your phone, I will know and I will be done with you"