Chapter 45

Chapter 45

Ashley’s POV

I woke up to the sound of my mom’s voice.

“Wake up sweetie” She sing-songed.

I blinked a few times, stretched on my bedand opened my eyes to find my mom opening to curtains to my window. That’s when I realized it was Monday and groaned covering my eyes with my blankets.

“Come on” My mom said while shaking my shoulder “I’ll drive you to school. Get ready I’ll wait for you to have breakfast”

My mom almost never wakes me up, let alone drives me to school and eat breakfast with me.

“What are you up to?” I said from under the covers “You’re way too…” Uhm, how to say it? Nice?

“Am I not allowed to be a caring mom?” She answered before I could even finish my sentence “I’ll be downstairs. Hurry up”

With that she closed the door and left me alone in my room.

I didn’t feel like going to school today, but being completely honest here… When do I feel like going?

Something about my mom’s change of attitude excited me.

Today I felt different.

I ran to my bathroom and played some music while taking a shower. When I finished I went downstairs and found my mom already eating a pile of hot cakes.

“I had to” She said speaking with her mouth full, something she never does “They smell delicious and you took forever to come down”

I just shrugged and took a plate and put hot cakes in it. 

“What are you doing today afternoon?” She asked casually taking a sip of her orange juice.

“I don’t know…” I said vaguely “Why?”

“Don’t you have piano lessons?” She asked “Or is it football practice?”

I frowned “I dropped out of piano 2 years ago mom, and I’ve never played football in my whole life, Eric plays not me”

“Really?” She asked surprised “You should go back to piano lessons, you were good”

I shrugged “I don’t think I have enough time for it”

“You don’t do anything on the afternoon Ashley; you’re always locked in your room or in Chloe’s house. You need to start focusing on your future, have extra classes, join the school team, learn a second language, anything”

I am tired of my mom telling me to look out for my future. I have enough to focus on the present.

“I have Spanish classes on school mom” I defended myself.

“Oh really?” She asked raising her eyebrows and crossing her arms. Being mean and bossy, back to her old self again.

“Si” I answered unsecure. I never pay attention in Spanish class. My mom raised her head telling me to continue “Hola?” I squinted an eye knowing I had screwed up, I knew nothing.  

“Oh God no” She said shaking her head “You won’t stay home all day and do nothing; you will have an extracurricular class of your choice on the afternoons. Language, music, or sports, your pick”

I groaned I pushed my head back.

“Mom no” I begged “I have homework” As is that was one good of an excuse.

She stood up from the table “Do you chose or do I?” She pushed.

“Fine” I buffed “I’ll have piano lessons”