Chapter 50

Chapter 50

“What do you mean you can’t go shopping?” Chloe asked clearly taken back. I am the only one that accompanies her when she goes clothes shopping and I’ve never said no, this being the first time.

“I am grounded” I answered flatly “For a week”

“No freaking way!” She smacked my shoulder “What did you do!”

My cheeks turned red remembering last night. I didn’t want Chloe to know I’d trespassed the school property to play a water fight with Austin, she would kill me. If I was responsible, she doubled me.

“What is it?” She insisted.

I shrugged “I just got home late”

Her mouth flew open “You’ve got to be kidding me. What hour?”

I squinted. The answer to that would sound pretty lame. “Nine?” It came out more like a question than an answer.

She stood up and smacked both of her hands in the table, causing a big sound all over the cafeteria. “I am going to kill your mother. I don’t have to be home until three. This has to be a joke”

“I wish”

Thinking back to everything my mother could’ve said to me, it turned out better than I expected. She killed me for escaping piano lessons, leaving without letting her know, not answering my phone, coming home all dirty and of course being with Austin.

“That boy is getting on my nerves Ashley. Look what he’s done to you! You’re behaving in ways you never had before!”

“He didn’t make me do anything mom! We were just playing around. It’s just mud for god’s sake!”

She sighed, her mouth wide open. “Don’t you dare answer back to me! I don’t want you hanging around that boy anymore do you hear me? If I see you with him again I’ll-“

“You’ll what?” I knew I was going too far. I was pushing her “You’ll lock me inside the house? I am not a child anymore mom! I can choose who to be friends with”

“I am warning you Ashley” She said for the last time, seriousness in her tone “I am not telling you again. Now go upstairs and clean yourself. You smell horrible”

Of course I didn’t tell her the part where we were inside the school football field. I told her we were on the park when the sprinklers turned on.

“And what where you doing on the park this late at night?” She had asked.

“Mom it’s ten minutes past nine. That’s far from late”

“What were you doing there?” She insisted.

“We were walking his dog that’s all” The second lie I’ve told her tonight.

She raised her eyebrows at me, clearly not trusting what I just said. “A dog? He has a dog?”

“Yeah, what’s so rare about it? You think it doesn’t fit his personality? You see what I mean? You don’t know him enough to judge him” 

And that’s when it happened.

“Fine, invite him over to dinner tomorrow”

My heart dropped a few beats.

“What?” I needed to rewind. Had I hear her right?

“Bring him for dinner. Tomorrow night. We’ll see what I think about him then”