Chapter 23

Chapter 23:

I've heard 'Happy birthday' more than 20 times this morning and everytime I hear it I get more and more excited. I've heard it from people I don't even know. How did they found out? who knows, but God bless them. They're so sweet.

It's lunch time and believe it or not, I haven't had a class with any of my friends. I haven't seen them but they all either called or texted congratulating me.

Actually, I did have a class with Robert and Zach, who by the way, yelled to the whole class that it was my birthday at the middle of the teacher's explanation and started screaming and dancing like crazy in front of me. Of course, they were sent to the principal's office for that, but they said it was worth it. That made my day, it seriously couldn't have been better. I laughed like crazy.

The three of us -being Robert, Zach and I- were walking to the cafeteria for lunch, were everyone was supposed to be waiting for us.

Robert was saying something about how he once bought a cat for the girl he liked on her birthday, but she ended up telling him that she was alergic to them. We all laughed. A cat? as a birthday present? so inocent and sweet of him.

I opened the big doors that lead into the cafeteria and-

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!"

All I saw before falling to the grownd was blonde hair all over my face.

Chloe.

I was pinned to the ground and she was awkwardly over me hugging me.

"Oh my God. Happy Birthday, happy birthday..." She was mumbling really fast. I barely understood some words "I can't believe you're 17 now. Oh God" She was still hugging me tight not letting me move.

"Chloe, I love you too, but you're kind of killing me... and well, yeah, everyone's staring. No big deal."

She turned to the sides and realized the people that were watching us. She slowly got up to her feet helping me along the way.

"Happy Birthday?" She said shrugging. We both laughed and I hugged her this time.

"Hey hey" I heard Alex from behind us "Enough hugs for Chloe. You'll leave us none" I turned and I found him smiling at me. He approached to me and hugged me lifting me a little.

"Happy Birthday Ashley" He said once he let me go.

"Can I give the birthday girl a hug too?" I hadn't notice Tyler standing next to Alex the whole time.

He grinned and embraced me in his arms.

"Okay, okay" Chloe said walking to a table nearby "Enough of sentimental stuff. I brought cake, who wants some?"

The cake Chloe personally baked -which is a big deal because she didn't eat it in the process like she would usually do- was delicious. It was a chocolate cake with pieces of milky way in it. She said it was the best gift she could come up with. And she was so damn right. Food will always be the best gift ever.

Tyler also brought me something. I wasn't expecting it at all. He gave me an envelope with a photo in it. We were both there, I was probably 5 years old and he was a year older. We were sitting on two swings. He was on the right one wearing a batman costume and I was on the left one with a short shoulder-length haircut, holding kitty on my hands.
That photo brought me back to that exact same day. I could remember it perfectly.
It was so sweet of him. I lost the count of times I said thank you.

Alex gave me a wrapped present. He said I had to keep it closed until this afternoon or so. He refuses to tell me what it is. But is pretty big and also heavy.