Chapter One: 21 Years Old

Twenty-one year old, as of today, Clary Fray made her way up the stairs of the Institute. It was the last weeks of August yet the summer heat didn't seem to be dying down and in her jeans, Clary was starting to sweat. She had spent the majority of the day sitting with Magnus and Simon. It had been a long process in getting Simon's memories and what they could tell now is only the littlest of details were still missing.

All the big pictures were back.

Simon was back.

And now Clary just wanted to take a shower and eat whatever ice cream might be in the fridge. Jace, Alec, and Isabelle had been called away to Idris to argue about the Herondale manor. Jace had started going by Herondale last year on his birthday.Yet there were still debates.

As for Simon and her he had given her, her present when they had met that morning and were celebrating later that week. Luke and Jocelyn were going to make her dinner later in the week too.

Clary sighed sure she wished Jace was home to celebrate with but at least she could eat ice cream in peace.

She headed down the hall and into the kitchen, which was dark. She fumbled around and when she found the light switch...

"Surprise!"

Clary jumped, pulling her dagger from her waist until she realized it was just Jace, Alec, Isabelle, Magnus, her mom, Luke, and Simon. She tucked her dagger back, "Thank you for the heart attack guys."

"You didn't honestly forget your birthday?" Her mom asked.

Clary shook her head, "No. I just didn't expect anyone to be here," She casted a look at Jace, Isabelle, and Alec.

"We lied," Jace said, "Sorry!" He stepped up to Clary and put a party hat on her head.

"You know I am turning twenty-one, right?" Clary asked.

"Yes biscuit, but when are you too old for a party hat?" Magnus asked, "I mean look at me." He blinked so his shiny eyeshadow was noticed.

"And I made the mistake that this is my party," Clary laughed.

"Of course it is!" Isabelle cried, "We even have cake!"

"Not made by you? Right?" Clary asked.

"Why do years go by and people still doubt my baking skills?" Isabelle asked, "And it is store bought."

"Iz. I lost all my memories, but trust me, I now remember your cooking can be deadly," Simon said.

"Watch it Lewis. She almost took my eye out with a soup ladle once when I insulted her soup," Jace laughed.

Magnus rolled his eyes, "Can we get back to biscuit's birthday. I don't believe she is getting any younger."

"Thank you Magnus," Clary said.

"I'll get the cake," Luke said.

"But really happy birthday Clary," Alec said.

"Thank you Alec," Clary said.

"I can't believe my baby girl is already twenty-one," Jocelyn said.

Clary went over and hugged her, "I love you mom."

"I love you too Clary."

"Okay! Who is ready for cake!" Luke called as he came back into the room.

"I've got the candles," Jace said.

"Should we trust him with fire?" Simon asked.

"Worst comes to worst," Jace said as he stuck in twenty-one candles, "Alec will save us all."