Chapter Seven: 26 Years Old - New Baby

Three year old Johanna stood on her tiptoes trying to look into the crib, which she wasn't quite tall enough to succeed.

"Do you want some help?" Clary laughed as she stepped into the room followed closely by Jace.

Johanna nodded and Jace bent down and lifted her up, "There you go silly girl."

"Johanna," Clary said, "This is your baby brother, Vance."

Vance, got his name from Valentine, another good soul lost to the darkness.

"Hi Vance," Johanna said.

Clary reached into the crib and carefully lifted Vance, "Do you want to hold him Johanna?"

"Yes," Johanna said.

Jace kneeled down and held Johanna's arm in the right way. Clary carefully placed Vance in her waiting arms, "Be careful, you have to hold his head."

"He's so little," Johanna said.

"You were that little once Jo," Jace said.

Vance yawned and Johanna looked at him, "He's tired."

"That's right," Clary said. She gently picked Vance out of Johanna's arms, "He needs his nap."

"How long will he nap? I want to play with him?" Johanna asked.

"Oh, Johanna," Clary said, "He's a little baby. He's still too young to play with you."

"In the meantime you have mom and I," Jace said, "And I saw there was some fresh snow on the ground Johanna."

"Snow? Can we build a snowman?" Johanna asked.

"You got it!" Jace smiled.

"Don't forget your jackets you two!" Clary said as Johanna and Jace raced out of the room. She rolled her eyes, "Vance, that's your daddy and your sister," She started to rock him, "Your sister is smart and cunning. She's beautiful. I know she loves you. I know she'll protect you no matter what the odds. You two will be the best of friends, because if you can't depend on your family, there is no one to depend on."

Clary leaned over and kissed the top of Vance's head, "And your daddy? Where do I start? He will fight for you until he can't fight anymore and then he'll still get up. He's stubborn, but for all the right reasons. He loves you too. I love you."

"You've got that right."

Clary jumped.

"Sorry," Jace said, stepping into Vance's nursery, "Johanna had to go to the bathroom and I was wondering if you were going to join us."

Clary put Vance down in his crib, "He should sleep for a good while. And I wouldn't miss time with you and Johanna for the world."

Jace laughed, "Then let's get out, because honestly this coat is suffocating in our warm house."

Clary and Jace headed to the back door where Joanna was waiting and Clary put on her jacket.

The Herondale family then went into their freshly covered snow yard.

Clary laid down in the snow and started to move her arms and legs. "Mommy what are you doing?" Johanna asked.

"You'll see Jo."

Clary laid for a few more seconds and then got up and jumped away, "It's a snow angel!" She smiled.

"I wanna make one!" Johanna cried.

"Go for it," Jace said.

Johanna laid down in the snow and waved her arms and legs, then she stood up and leaped away, "Yay!" She said examining her work.