Chapter Thirty-Seven: 82 Years Old

Eighty-two year old Clary Herondale looked between her husband and Magnus. "You want to what?" She asked.

In the past couple of years, Clary had realized she was truly aging. It sometimes hurt to play with the great grandkids. Sitting at Paige's wedding to her wife Nicole had made her knees crack when she stood up. Gabe's wedding to Stella had been similar.

"Blindfold you," Jace said.

Clary looked at Magnus, "Why is he here."

"Ouch biscuit. I'm right here," Magnus said.

"Because," Jace said ignoring Magnus, "He is part of the surprise. At least he is helping  with it."

Clary frowned, "Jace. I don't know if you knew this, but I'm aging. It hurts when I chase after our great grandkids."

"This isn't going to hurt you, love," Jace said, "I promise."

Clary looked at Magnus, "If it hurts. I'm going to need you to bring him back after I kill him."

"Anything for you Biscuit," Magnus said, "Cross my heart."

"Blindfold me," Clary told Jace.

Jace stepped up and gently wrapped a piece of cloth over Clary's eyes, "Can you see anything?" He asked.

"Nope."

"Good. Magnus do your thing," Jace said.

"Okay," Magnus said.

"Okay Clary," Jace said, "I'm going to take your hand." Jace gently took her right hand, "Please follow me."

Clary let Jace guide her, keeping her hand safely in his.

And suddenly, the hardwood floor was gone and the ground became soft. "Jace!" Clary gasped.

"It's okay," Jace said, "I'm going to remove your blindfold."

"Okay," Clary said, "but if we are standing in quicksand-"

Jace laughed, "No. On three."

"One."

"Two."

"THREE!"

The blindfold fell off of Clary's face and in a few seconds her eyes adjusted and Clary knew exactly where she was standing.

She was standing in the greenhouse of the New York Institute. "The greenhouse," Clary muttered.

Jace stepped in front of her, "Happy sixty years married to me."

Clary busted into a smile, "Jace!" She pulled him tight.

"I couldn't bring you to where we got married, too many mundanes, but I thought I'd bring you here to the place-"

"To the place where you asked me to marry you," Clary finished, "And where we shared our first kiss." She looked around, "This place sure hasn't changed much."

Jace laughed, "It's a garden, it would keep growing even if there weren't people who cared for it every day."

"I can't believe we are back in New York," Clary said, "I feel like it's been such a long time."

Jace nodded, "I figured sixty years together was a big deal. Big enough for a portal to New York."

Clary shook her head, "I can't believe we've been married sixty years."

Jace shrugged, "I can."

Clary looked at him, "Don't pull that you knew we were meant to be the second we met. Because you hated me when we first met."