Chapter Four: 23 Years Old

One year had gone by since Clary and Jace had been married. In that time Isabelle and Simon had gotten married, Magnus and Alec had gotten married, and Bat and Maia had gotten married. Clary and Jace had also finally moved into Herondale manor. (Alec, Magnus, Simon, and Isabelle also moved to Idris.)

Clary was also twenty-three when Isabelle and Simon welcomed their first child.

Clary and Jace waited forever for the whole protection ceremony of Isabelle and Simon's baby happened and finally they were let in to see Isabelle and Simon.

"Hey guys," Isabelle said, she looked tired but still beautiful.

"Hi," Simon said, he looked super tired.

"Hi guys," Clary said coming to the bedside Simon wasn't leaning against. She leaned over and looked at the small baby in Isabelle's arm. "Hi baby," Clary said.

"Her name is Mackenzie," Simon said.

"We named her after Max," Isabelle said.

Jace smiled, "Then she'll be a very strong girl."

Simon offered his finger and baby Mackenzie took hold, "My sweet girl."

"My first niece," Jace said.

"And last," Isabelle said.

"You say that now," Clary laughed.

"You two add kids and then we will talk," Isabelle. She started to gently rock baby Mackenzie.

"Clary and I are in no rush to have kids. We are still young," Jace said.

Simon snorted, "Is that why Magnus always cracks jokes about Clary being old?"

"What about Magnus?"

The four of them jumped as Magnus Bane and Alec entered the room.

"Alec!" Isabelle said.

Alec came around and looked at the little girl in Isabelle's arm and smiled, "What's her name?"

Isabelle looked at him," Mackenzie. We named her after Max."

"I love her already," Alec said.

"Do you want to hold her?" Isabelle said.

"Sure," Alec held his arms and Isabelle gently placed Mackenzie into Alec's arms.

"I feel her strength," Magnus said, "Isabelle she's going to reflect you perfectly."

Mackenzie yawned big and the whole room smiled.

"Clary? Jace? Magnus? Would any of you like to hold her?" Isabelle asked.

"If I hold her does that mean I have to babysit her when you and Simon go on dates?" Jace asked.

"I'll babysit," Clary said, offering her arms for Mackenzie.

Alec rested her gently in Clary's arm. "Hi Mackenzie. Hi sweet girl."

Mackenzie stayed in Clary's arms for awhile before be handed to Jace and then to Magnus and back to Isabelle.

"So," Alec said, "Where is mom and dad?"

"They were here earlier before the protection stuff and then dad had a meeting and mom had to go back to New York. She's the only one there now, you know that," Isabelle said.

"Of course," Alec sighed.

Isabelle nodded.

Clary leaned against Jace and Jace wrapped his arm tight around her. "I have to let mom and Luke know they'll want to see Mackenzie."

"I would love to see your mom," Isabelle said.

"Me too," Simon said, "I've missed her since her last visit here."

"I'll portal her for no charge at all," Magnus winked.

"Thanks Magnus, since you married Alec you are getting soft," Jace said.

"I'll still change you into a rat," Magnus said.

"Magnus, leave my husband alone," Clary laughed.

"All of you don't fight, you'll upset Mackenzie and we have to let her pretend she has normal family for awhile."

"She's hours old Iz, she won't remember any of this," Jace said.

"Unless she turns out to be a genius baby," Simon said.

The whole room laughed together.

And for the next couple of hours they sat together, old friends and families

Then Magnus, Alec, Jace, and Clary left to allow Isabelle, Mackenzie, and Simon to get some sleep.

"So," Jace said when him and Clary got home. He pulled her close and pressed his lips close to her ear, "will we have children one day?"

Clary wrapped her arms around him and leaned close, "One day," She whispered back. Then she kissed him and raced upstairs.

Jace laughed and chased after her.

One day they would have kids, but in the meantime, they had each other and their family and friends.

That was all that matter.