Chapter Twenty-Seven: 59 Years Old - Jace's 60th Birthday

Clary leaned over and snapped a birthday hat on Jace's head, making sure the strap went under his chin. She kissed his cheek, "Happy birthday old man!"

"Thank you," Jace said.

"Here comes cake," Isabelle cried, cutting through the crowd of friends and family. She set it down in front of Jace, "And I bought it before anyone makes any smart remarks," She glared at Jace, Simon, and Alec.

"I wasn't going to say anything," Alec said, "I'm not that stupid."

Isabelle leaned over with a lighter and lit the big six and the big zero candle on Jace's cake.

"And a one, two, three," Magnus shouted as everyone started to sing happy birthday to Jace.'

Jace smiled and at the end of the song blew out his candles.

Isabelle grabbed up the cake to take it away to be cut.

"And let's not forget to thank Jocelyn for all of this," Jace said, "Jocelyn you are the best!"

Jocelyn waved her hand, "It's not big deal," She leaned against Luke, "I love you guys."

"So," Spencer said from down the table, his eyes up towards the ceiling, "Grandpa and Grandma this where you trained? Great Aunt Isabelle and Great Uncle Alec too?"

"Yep," Clary said, "This is where our story begun."

"One day, in stumbled your Grandpa carrying your grandma and your Great Uncle Simon looking scared, came behind them," Alec said.

"Cool," Spencer said.

"Okay who wants cake?" Isabelle asked returning the rom.

"Me!" Cheers went up and so cake was passed around to everyone.

Everyone started to eat cake and chatter between everyone was about random stuff.

"So," Magnus said, "Max, Blueberry, my sweet child tell everyone about your new boyfriend."

"Papa!" Max cried.

"Max! You have a boyfriend? Way to go," Johanna nudged him.

"He is warlock," Max muttered.

"How long have you two been dating? How come I haven't heard anything?" Isabelle directed the second question at Alec.

"Uh it's coming up on... a year."

Vance choked on his drink, "That's a record for Max!"

Randall laughed, "That's for sure."

Max rolled his eyes, "When you have your whole life equaling the rest of the time, relationships are weird."

"Here's to that," Magnus said.

"Um, sorry," Jace said, "but I thought this was my birthday."

"You know this family," Simon said, "they can't focus on one person for too long."

Jace took a bite of his cake, "Oh well at least we got through singing happy birthday."

Clary laughed, "Oh Jace, we love you."

"That's good to hear," Jace said, "because my blonde locks have faded so much, I thought for sure everyone would leave when I lost my good looks."

"At least he is still a smart-" Magnus started.

"Don't finish that sentence," Jace said cutting Magnus off, "there are children here."