Chapter Twenty-Six: 59 Years Old

Clary sat on the dirt in the greenhouse beside her mom, "Since when do you like gardening mom?" She asked.

Eighty year old Jocelyn frowned at her daughter, "We lived in an apartment in New York, there wasn't anywhere to plant. I don't know, isn't gardening a thing old people do."

"Sorry," Clary said.

"Besides you aren't that young anymore are you Mrs. Soon to be sixty."

Clary shook her head, "Don't talk about it."

"Oh Clary, by the time you are my age and your hair is fully gray, you'll give up on caring about your age."

"How's Luke doing?" Clary said looking at her mom, "With the whole aging like a human but being a werewolf?"

"He says his werewolf aches in all the places he does, but he doesn't like to shift as much anymore," Jocelyn said. She got up and brushed off her hands, "Now how about we go inside for some lunch. Luke said he would be done by the time we were done out here."

"I hope Jace didn't mess anything up," Clary said shaking her head.

Jocelyn laughed, "You never know."

Clary stood up and her and Jocelyn headed in to Jocelyn's house. They made it into the kitchen where they found Jace and Luke standing at the counter finishing up pouring drinks.

"Hi," Jocelyn said.

Luke turned around and offered his wife a glass of water, "How are the flowers looking?"

"Beautiful," Jocelyn said.

"Did you help?" Luke asked Clary as they sat down at the table.

"No," Jocelyn said before Clary could say anything, "She sat there and talked the whole time."

Clary rolled her eyes, "I handed you the flowers and the shovel."

"That," Jocelyn laughed, "She did do."

"So are we going to eat or not?" Luke asked.

"Eat," Jace said, "I'm starving."

"You know," Jocelyn said as they started to eat, "I think we should throw you, Jace, a big birthday party for your sixth birthday. That way I can see lovely grandchildren and great grandchildren again."

"DId you get the photo of Bella?" Clary asked.

"Yes!" Jocelyn beamed, "Oh she's so cute."

"Amanda says her hair is getting dark and dark red every day," Jace said.

"I feel bad for your parents Jace, how many great grandkids do they have?" Luke asked, "I think Jocelyn and I got lucky with the eight from your lovely children."

"Well there is the eight from Clary and I's kids, Spencer, Wally, Sofia, Elwood, Matthew, Zoey, Wyatt, and Bella. The one from Raphael, Aiden. Then there is the five from Isabelle and Simon's kids, Maria, Gwen, Ozzie, Dawn, and Ruth. So in total fourteen."

"Fourteen," Luke shook his head, "That's a lot."

"But of course your kids are in the lead," Jocelyn said.

"Well we did have three kids verus our friend's having two," Clary said.

"And two of our kids had three kids each," Jace said.

"But they are good kids," Clary said, "The grandkids. Our kids can still be kind of rough."

"How are Spencer's piano lessons coming?" Luke asked.

"Well, he thought they were cool forever and ever and he's really far advanced, but now he's fourteen and acting like he's too cool," Jace said, "It will die down eventually."

"That's crazy that Spencer is already fourteen," Jocelyn said, "These kids grow up so fast."

"It happens mom," Clary said, "I mean look at me."

Jocelyn shook her hand at Clary, "Please don't remind me how old you are."

"It seems like just yesterday you were saving the world with your friends," Luke laughed.

"And yet here I am, fifty-nine," Clary laughed.

"We still love you," Jocelyn said, "Even if you are wrinkling and your hair is getting gray."

"Thanks mom," Clary said.

"I love you."

"I love you too," Clary said.

Jocelyn turned her attention to Jace, "So now about this party, How many seats are we going to have to round up."

"Tons," Jace said, "It might be easier to be outside, actually I don't think anyone has an inside that can fit everyone."

"You can use our backyard mom," Clary said.

"You know what I was thinking?" Jocelyn said, "The New York institute. The training room is huge but so are other rooms. We can be inside in the air condition."

"Celebrate where I started," Jace smiled, "I like it."

"Good," Jocelyn said, "because I already called Isabelle and she went to town with plans."

"Just don't let her cook the cake," Jace said.

"I think she is planning on buying it," Jocelyn laughed.

"It will be really cool for the grandkids to see New York," Clary said.

"Spencer will pee himself," Jace said.

"He's going to want to see where we slept and where we trained," Clary agreed.

"I love Spencer," Jocelyn said.

"He's going to make an amazing Shadowhunter," Luke said.

Clary nodded, "All the grandkids will they have the Fray and Herondale blood running through them."

"And the other side of our crazy family is Lightwood blood," Jace said.

"Poor people who think they want to fight back against the peace," Luke said, "They can't stop the Lightwoods, Herondales, and Frays."

"I still remember how excited Johanna was for her first vampire fight," Jocelyn said, "It was all she wanted to talk about."

Jocelyn got up and started to grab the dishes, "Let me help you," Clary got up too and followed her mom over to the sink. They dropped the dishes in and returned to the table.

"Thank you for lunch mom," Clary said hugging her and then hugging Luke.

"It was very good," Jace said.

"Aw I'm glad you enjoyed it, you guys should come around more often," Jocelyn said.

Luke clapped Jace on the back, "Keep treating my girl right, okay?"

Jace nodded, "Yes sir."

"Bye guys I love you," Clary said, "Mom enjoy your gardening."

"I guess we will see you again at Jace's party," Jocelyn smiled.

"Yep," Clary said.

"Well have a safe trip home," Jocelyn said.

"We will," Jace said giving Jocelyn a quick hug, "Bye Jocelyn."

"Bye Jace, bye Clary," Jocelyn said.

Clary and Jace then headed out the back door and around to the front of the house.

"I love your mom," Jace said.

"Because she's throwing you a party?" Clary asked.

"That and she is amazing," Jace said.

Clary nodded, "She is."

And so together Jace and Clary headed for home.