Chapter Twelve: 35 Years Old

"I don't need to be babysat," Johanna complained, "I can take care of myself. I'm twelve mom."

Clary put her earring in and looked at her daughter, "And I'm thirty-five. That trumps twelve. Besides Vance is nine and Amanda is six. They need someone to watch after them."

"I could!" Johanna protested.

Clary smiled and turned back to the mirror, "Johanna. What is wrong with having Uncle Magnus and Uncle Alec over. Blueberry is coming too. You love your Uncles and Max and you three always have fun."

Johanna slid off Clary and Jace's bed and came to stand beside her mom, "But I'm too old for a babysitter."

Clary sighed and kissed the top of Johanna's head, "When I was your age, my mother was still wiping my memory of being a Shadowhunter."

"So Uncle Alec and Magnus are still coming?"

"Right," Clary said.

"Knock, knock," Jace said as he stuck his head, "Clary, you almost ready?"

Johanna crossed her arms, "Why do you even have to go on a date. You are married."

"I love your mother and she deserve it," Jace said.

"You are going to have a great time with your uncles," Clary said. The doorbell rang through the house, "And that would be them."

Clary left her bedroom and headed for the entry way. "Oh! There she is," Magnus said looking up as Clary's heels clicked on the tile. Vance, Amanda, and Max were clinging to him, "A little help?"

Clary laughed, "Kids! Kids! Give Magnus a break."

"I need a little love," Alec said.

"Uncle Alec!" Amanda tossed herself from Magnus and into Alec's arms.

"Hi Kiddo."

"Where is Johanna?" Magnus asked as he set Vance back on the floor, "You look very nice by the way."

"Pouting in my room," Clary said, "She says she is too old for a babysitter. And thank you."

"I am!" Johanna cried and she and Jace came into the entrance.

"Hello Jo!" Alec said.

Jace came around to Clary's side, "Should we be going?"

Clary looked at Magnus and Alec. "We've got this biscuit. Go have fun," Magnus said.

Clary held out her arms, "Hugs and kisses kids?"

Vance and Amanda piled on and Clary kissed both of them on the head and squeezed them tight.

"Johanna?" Clary asked after Vance and Amanda backed off.

Johanna scooted close, dragging her feet, Clary kissed her and hugged her, "Be good."

Magnus pulled open the door, "Bye you two."

"If my house is gone when I get back," Jace looked at Magnus and Alec, "I'll make you guys dress in each other's outfits for a year."

Alec and Magnus exchanged horrified looks.

"Exactly," Jace said, he put his hand on the small of Clary's back and they walked out of the house together.

Clary shook her head, "Why do I love you again?"

"I think for a lot of a reasons," Jace smiled.

Clary laughed, "Good answer, now where are we going?"

"It is surprise, but I think you'll like it." He wrapped his arm through her's, "Right this way my love."