Chapter Twenty-Eight: 60 Years Old

"Attention! Attention!" Max called tapping on his glass, "I know that we are here to

celebrate my lovely papa and dad's anniversary, but I have an announcement to make."

Everyone in the yard, The Herondales, Lightwoods, and Jocelyn and Luke, turned to face Max.

"What is it Blueberry?" Rafael asked his brother.

Max smiled out at the crowd of his family, "Well," He paused, "I'm getting MARRIED!"

There was a beat of silence as everyone processed that and then everyone cheered.

"Wooh!" Simon called, "Not a serial dater after all?"

"Such a disappointment to the Bane family name," Rafael laughed.

"Wait is the Warlock boy or someone new?" Clary asked.

"Yes it is the Warlock," Max said, "His name is Uriel."

Jace raised his glass, "Congrats Max. I honestly thought I'd be dead before you got married."

Max shrugged, "I figured the world will probably one day blow up so why not enjoy life while I can."

"Congrats Max!" Amanda clapped him on the back, "but talk to us again when you and Uriel adopt kids," She glanced at three year old Bella who was using Cody as her own personal jungle gym.

Max lifted Bella off of Cody and laughed, "Hey there Bella."

"Blueberry!" She blabbed wrapping herself around him.

"I'll be fine," Max said giving Bella a kiss on her cheek.

"You say that now," Cody said, "but she's cute until you spent so many hours in the middle of the night changing her diaper."

"I'll make sure Uriel and I adopt kids who have long outgrown diapers," Max said.

Magnus cleared his throat, "I hate to break up this lovely chat, but I thought we were celebrating me?"

"You mean us," Alec said.

"Sure Alexander," Magnus smiled.

"Ah yes," Isabelle said standing up and holding her glass, "To Alec and Magnus. You two went through so much to get to this point and I am so proud to be your sister Alec. Happy anniversary."

"To Magnus and Alec!" Everyone else echoed.

"Does anyone even know how many years Uncle Alec and Uncle Magnus have been married?" Randall asked, "Or are we just lucky someone remembered the date."

"It's close to forty," Magnus said with a wave of his hand, "Clarissa how old were you when we got married?"

"Twenty-two? Twenty-three?" Clary shrugged.

"And you are sixty now so thirty-eight! Ah! I was right!" Magnus said.

"Am I going to be that old one day," Johanna asked with a look to Danny, "That I don't remember how old we were when we got married?"

Jocelyn laughed, "Jo one day you are going to be so old you are just dust. Dates don't matter once you get older. Having each day is what matters."

"Grandma!" Amanda said, "Don't say stuff like that. It sounds like you are planning on dying soon."

Jocelyn shook her head, "I'm getting up there Amanda, but I'm not going anywhere anytime soon. Neither is your grandfather. I'll kill him if he dies before me."