Chapter Thirty-Six: 78 Years Old

Clary watched from the makeup table as Amanda, Johanna, Kit, Sofia, and Zoey fussed over Bella.

    Bella pushed back her sister, "Zoey. You are about ten seconds from stabbing that makeup brush in my eye."

    "Good!" Zoey said, "I'm trying to make you look nice. It is only your wedding."

    Bella rolled her eyes, "I am just now twenty-one."

    "And the last grandkid to be married," Sofia said, "I mean, I already had a kid and named him Ace in honor of Jace. You are far behind."

    "Was I supposed to get married at seventeen?" Bella asked.

    Sofia shrugged.

    "Guys!" Amanda cried, "Back off my daughter! She's my baby."

    Johanna sighed, "Aw. Amanda. I'm going to start crying. It's been a long time since I could call anyone my baby."

    "Please do not cry Aunt Jo," Bella said, "It will ruin your makeup."

    "Good point," Johanna said. She turned to face Clary, "So what do you think about all this?"

    "Bella, if I'm counting right, is lucky number twenty five on the weddings I've been too. Counting mine and my mom's to Luke."

    "Twenty-five weddings?" Bella asked as Amanda pulled her wedding dress out.

    "I have a lot of kids. Nieces, nephews, grandkids. All of you getting married," Clary laughed.

    "Left foot, right foot," Amanda said as she helped Bella into her dress. "Now hold it while I lace it up."

    Bella held up the front of the dress while Amanda walked around the back.

    "Wow," Zoey said as Amanda tied the last golden string, "You might look better than I did, and that's saying something."

    Bella turned so she could see the golden mermaid dress in the mirror, "I love it."

    "You look beautiful Bella," Clary said.

    "I hope Toby knows how lucky he is," Sofia said, "Not any boy is worthy of marrying into our family."

    "Uh," A voice said from outside the  door, "is it safe if the dad of the bride comes in."

    "Come in Cody!" Amanda called.

    Cody pushed open the door and came in. "Hey girls."

    "Dad!" Bella said walking over to him and hugging him.

    "Wow. Bella. You look beautiful," Cody kissed her on the cheek.

    "Thanks dad," Bella said.

    "Well," Clary said standing up, "I better take my seat." She walked over to Bella and hugged her, "I love you."

    "I love you too grandma."

    Clary smiled at the rest of the room, "Good luck."

    "Wait!" Johanna cried, "Kit and I are coming with. We aren't bridesmaids, just aunts this time."

    Kit and Johanna both gave Bella one more hug, "Break a leg," Kit said.

    "Thanks Aunt Kit," Bella smiled.

    Clary held the door, "After you." Johanna and Kit slipped out and found their respected places beside Danny and Vance. Clary made her way to sit between Jace and Simon.