Chapter Twenty-Four: 55 Years Old

"This is nice," Isabelle said, "No kids, no grandkids, just me, my husband, and my lovely friends hanging out at the beach."

"Unless, when he was trying to get drinks by magic, your husband managed to get sand down your swim trunks," Alec said.

"It was accidental Alexander," Magnus said, "I'm sorry."

"We told you to bring a chair," Jace said as he slid his sunglasses on.

"You think he listens," Isabelle chuckled, "Ha."

"Okay, okay, this is not the jump on Alec train," Alec said.

"We love you Alec," Clary said.

Alec took a big sip of his water bottle, "Uh huh."

"Just relax and listen to the waves," Simon said, "And you don't even hear screaming children when you close your eyes."

Clary laughed, "You'd think I wouldn't have to hear children anymore, but everytime I turn around there is a new grandkid."

"How many now?" Isabelle asked.

"Well," Jace said, "Danny and Johanna still only have Spencer and Wally. Vance and Victoria have Sofia, Elwood, and as of last year, Matthew. Amanda and Cody only had Zoey, but then last week baby Wyatt was born."

Isabelle nodded, "Well Mackenzie and Lance only, still, have Maria and Gwen. Randall and Opal, though, have Ozzie and Dawn and soon to be a new baby girl they are naming Ruth."

"Ha," Magnus laughed, "Alec we are winning. Raphael and Lacey only have Aiden and Max is single."

"That's because," Jace said, "Max is a serial dater like you Magnus."

"And I thought he was dating that pretty fairy girl, what was her name?" Isabelle asked.

"Bella," Alec answered, "And nope. They broke up. He said she was too clingy."

"What about Bat's werewolf friend, Thomas?" Clary asked, "I thought him and Max were doing really well."

"They were," Magnus said.

"And that ended too," Alec finished, "Max has a lot of soul searching to do and he has years and years to do it."

"And we thought Shadowhunter children were hard," Jace laughed.

The group laughed.

"All children are hard," Magnus said, "but it helps when they only have a mortal life and so they hurry along to check things off."

"You are immortal and you settled down with Alec," Simon said.

"Yes I did, but I also saw so much thanks to you five."

"What's that suppose to mean?" Isabelle asked.

"We fought in the biggest war, I watched Simon forget who he was, those two couldn't stop making out even when they were brother and sister, and how many times did Jace die?"

"We don't talk about my deaths," Jace said.

"Or our brother/sister months," Clary said with a shiver.

"I'm just saying when you see so much bad in the world in such a short amount of time it teaches you to enjoy the good times, the peacefulness. It reminds you to stop and feel the sand between your toes," Magnus shoved his feet deeper into the sand.

Jace reached out and took Clary's hand, "Amen to that."

"So," Magnus said, "On a totally unrelated note anyone feel like a hamburger?"