Chapter Seventeen: 45 Years Old

"Aw, Jo, he is beautiful," Clary said, lifting the newborn out of Johanna's arms, "But I still feel too young to be a grandma."

"How do you think I feel," Jocelyn sighed, "Great-grandma and all."

Clary laughed, "I love you mom and I'm sure Spencer is going to love you too."

"Spencer, that's what you decided to name him?" Vance asked.

"Yes," Danny said, "We thought it was a good name for him."

Clary smiled, "I love his name." She kissed Spencer on the top of the head.

Suddenly the door was thrown open and Mackenzie rushed in, dragging Lance, her now

husband in with her. Isabelle and Simon followed closely behind.

"I'm here! I'm here!" Mackenzie said, running to Johanna's bedside and hugging her,

"Sorry!"

Clary eyed Mackenzie, "Shouldn't you be slowing down?"

Mackenzie straighten up and rested her hand on her stomach, "Just because I have a baby due in three months doesn't mean a thing. My best friend needed me!"

Isabelle shook her head, "Us Lewis girls don't stop. Ever."

"Can I see my grandson?" Jace asked, stepping up beside Clary, "You know, so you can hug your best friends."

"Here you go," Clary said passing Spencer to Jace. She hugged Simon, Isabelle, Mackenzie, and Lance, "Where is Randall?" Clary asked.

"The waiting room with his girlfriend. I didn't want it to crowded in here," Isabelle said.

"It is getting kind of squishy in here," Luke said, "But I'm not leaving, that's my grandson."

Jace smiled, "It's been sixteen years since I held a new baby, it's kind of crazy."

"I ask to be carried all the time," Amanda said.

"Can I hold him?" Mackenzie asked, ignoring Amanda.

"Here," Jace said.

"Hi Spencer. Technically I'm your first cousin once removed, but you can call me Aunt Mack."

"To think," Isabelle said, "Our family trees started so simple and now they mix."

"The bigger the better," Danny said.

Spencer started fussing and Danny stood up, "Aw, come here Spencer."

Danny took Spencer from Mackenzie and started to rock him back and forth. He calmed down and Johanna smiled, "See, you do know how to be a dad."

Danny laughed, "I just stopped one crying baby."

"And that's all you have to do sometimes," Clary said."

"Speaking," Amanda said, "of crying babies. This baby, me, your sixteen year old daughter, is tired. We've been here for hours. We see the baby. He is cute. Good job Johanna, Danny. Can we go home?"

"Are you okay?" Clary asked Johanna.

Johanna nodded, "I'll be okay mom."

Clary leaned over and kissed the top of Johanna's head, "I love you."

"I love you too. Dad, I love you too."

Jace nodded, "I love you too."

"Okay children, let's head out," Clary said.

Jocelyn got up and hugged Clary, "Love you."

Clary hugged her and Luke.

"Bye Johanna! Bye Danny!" Vance and Amanda said.

"Be good," Clary told Mackenzie and then they piled out of the room together and into the waiting room.

Where Randall and his girlfriend were making out.

Vance pulled out his phone and snapped pictures, "Prime blackmail."

Simon cleared his throat and Randall and his girlfriend pulled apart, "Oh, hi guys. How is Johanna?" Randall asked.

"Great, but it looks like you were having way more fun than us," Mackenzie said.

"Shut up," Randall said.

"I have pictures," Vance said.

Randall's girlfriend awkwardly picked at her nails.

Jace shook his head, "Amanda, Vance, let's go."

"Bye Randall," Vance said. Jace shook his head and gave him a soft push forward.

"Go," Jace said.

"Going!"

Clary and Jace managed to get their children out and so they headed home.

A new baby was born and as they walked home Clary plotted all the ways to spoil Spencer silly.