Chapter 1

Chapter 1

6:00am. The clock on my bedside table was going off and my lazy hand wouldn't reach long enough to stop the buzz. 

"Oh no. Just one more minute" that's all I'm asking for. I've never been a morning person, my eyes have trouble opening if it's earlier than 10am.

Summer didn't last long enough for me this year. It was only weeks after I'd gotten out of school when my dad gave us the news about a new job he was offered back in Texas, the place my parents grew up in and where I lived most of my childhood. My mom was really excited about the change, but me? I definitely wasn't. I had to spend my summer moving out of Seattle and into Texas, saying goodbye to my friends and ending up a month without any of them. That was definitely not what I expected from my vacations. And right now, getting up to go to the first day of school isn't any different. I'm starting over in a new city I'm supposed to call home.  

I get to be the new girl today, and you know what that means? Everyone staring at me but no one actually befriending me.

"Ashley, breakfast is ready!" A loud yell came from downstairs. It's 6:10 now. 

A soft groan came out unconsciously. If I don't get up right now I will be late.

After getting up, getting dressed and having some breakfast I left my house with still some good 15 minutes to walk to school.

Nervously, I took a good grip of the books in my hands as I walked towards the entry of the school. There were kids everywhere, as to be expected. Some of them shaking hands and hugging each other, some boys came in skating, others came in groups on their big trucks and blasting music. 

There was this one car that caught my eye. It was completely black and vintage, and it was just parking to my left. The back doors opened first and three guys came out laughing, the guy on the driver seat came out last. He had a red cap that covered half his face, a smirk that I just couldn't ignore and something on the side of his mouth. Wait. Are they even allowed to smoke in school ar-

The books I was carrying were now scattered on the floor, and I almost hit my face with the stairs in front of me. 

"Hey" I heard a male voice rush next to me "You okay in there?" The palm of my hands were black from the dirt from the floor. At least it wasn't my face. I saw the hand from the guy next to me, offering me his help so I could get up. I took it. "Missing your glasses?" He asked within a little laugh "Couldn't have missed this big steps just like that"

"Oh no, sorry. I guess I got a little distracted" I said with a nervous laugh as I cleaned my hands patting my jeans. 

I looked up and finally saw him properly. He was actually pretty hot. Tanned skin, brownish hair, nice eyes, and a smile that wouldn't leave his face. He looked cute. 

He knelt down and started picking up the books that I dropped. 

"This look brand new" He said holding one of them in his hand "You new around here?"

"Yeah. Just got here a month ago" I said as I picked up the last one "I'm Ashley"

"I'm Jake" He said stretching his hand to shake my hand "Want me to show you around?" 

I nodded smiling and we entered.

"It's not such a big place. You should get around easily" He said "Do you know where your locker is?" Jake asked knowing I had no clue. "Let me see that paper you got there" He pointed to a stack of papers inside a book that was under my arm. I handed them to him. "Mmm... 44? That's actually close" We walked a bit more and a few lockers away was the one with the number 44 on the lock "Right here" He pointed.

"Well thank you" I said nicely "It would've taken longer for me to find it"

"Yeah, no problem" He said smiling "I might sound creepy but I'm guessing you're a senior?" He asked narrowing his eyes, trying to guess my age. 

"And with that question I take it you are too?" I asked hoping we were in the same grade so I would have a familiar face in my classes. 

"Yes" He laughed "Nice. What's your first class? Maybe it's the same as mine and I could walk you there"

I took one of the papers I had in hand and looked at my schedule. 

"I have Biology with in room 101?" My answer sounding more like a question "Do you really have that much classrooms?" 

"Not really" He laughed. In that moment a bell rang and people started closing their lockers "I don't have Biology until after lunch, but I'm hoping we'll cross at some other classes" I tried to hide the small disappointment I felt. "I guess we can see each other at the break. If that's okay with you" He finished

"Yeah, totally" I said smiling "Thank you for everything"

"I'll see you in a while" He said goodbye taking his backpack from the floor. Within seconds he was gone.

I sighed happily. This few minutes went out better than I expected. At least I know someone here. I like to think I just made a friend. 

The halls were already getting empty, so I left some books at my locker and went looking for the Biology classroom. 

It turned out to be a few doors away from my locker. When I got in the room was almost full and there were just a few seats left. People looked at me when I walked it, obviously thinking I was new, but quickly went back to their chatting. I stepped in and ended up sitting on the front row. You would think I would mind being seen as the nerdy girl at front, but not really. I've always been very dedicated at school, I get good grades, get along with the teachers, turn papers at time and pretty much never skipped a class in my whole life. I am a nerd at heart, what can I say. 

The room was full by the time the teacher came in and closed the door. All seats were taken except one next to me. 

"So... my name is Mr. Greeves and I'll be your Biology teacher this semester" The teacher started writing something on the board, which I bet was his name, when suddenly someone knocked and opened the door without waiting for a response. A boy stood there. It wasn't hard to realize he was the same guy from the parking lot, wearing a red cap, ripped jeans and baggy shirt. "Sorry but your late kid"

"Yeah" He said with a slow sharp voice "Can I just come in?"

"You can't come in, you have to" The teacher said while crossing his hands "This is the only time I'll let you in if you're late, understood?" The boy just nodded carelessly and got in. He looked around trying to find a seat in the back- He didn't look like the front row type, but he didn't really have a choice.  He saw the seat next to me and murmured something under his breath. I could see it in his eyes as he sat down, he didn't want to be here.

"Let's start with a quick questionnaire to see how much you know about the class" Mr. Greeves said. There was a loud complain from everyone in the room. "You can do it in pairs if you want to" He added "But no switching places. I'll start taking assistance while you work"

Apparently they all knew each other, because everyone paired up pretty fast. I looked to the red cap guy next to me expecting a glance back but he was texting someone from under the desk. That's when I realized I had an absolute not working-type of partner. 

"Hey" I said loud enough so he could hear me. He turned to face me, with his hands still on his phone. Even then when he was clearly bothered by my asking, his glance was set deeply on mine, and it was intimidating. I realized I didn't really know what to say.  "I.. I'm guessing we are partners?"

"I don't do partners" He simply answered. I was taken back and left with nothing to say, so I just stared at him with a blank expression.  

He didn't turn away either. Now that he faced me I could see him clearly. He had some beautiful hazel/green eyes and wild dark hair. It fitted his annoying 'I don't give a shit' personality perfectly. 

"I'm messing with you" He said with chuckling at the astonishment on my face. "But I am a terrible partner let me tell you that" 

I made a weird smile not knowing what to say. I took a blank paper and looked straight up front trying to ignore the awkwardness of what just happened. 

"I'm Austin" he suddenly said, making me turn to see him again.

"I'm Ashley" I simply answered.

"Ashley" He repeated barely audible without even looking at me. 

I stared at him as he looked away. There was something interesting about him and I didn't know what it was. He was definitely different from everyone else. It gave me the feeling that he liked making people uncomfortable. He liked being mysterious. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I know that the first chapter was a little bit boring and really short, but there's a lot coming next. Hope you guys like it. xoxo