Chapter 2 -Fight for your Life

CHAPTER TWO

Keegan has never felt so helpless until now. He managed his time well between his work at the pack hospital and taking care of pack business. He was always in control of things and all matters. He had the respect of his pack, a loving family and loyal friends to support him in every way. Werewolves had the physical stamina to take on an enormous load of stress. The thought of soon finding his future Luna fuelled his determination even more; but not so in this case. He felt his heart break for the other half of his soul covered in soot and blood. But she was still beautiful. Blood was flowing through her pale cheeks which he suspected came from a head injury. He hoped that it was nothing serious. Her face and her arms were covered in deep scratches and her collar bone was badly bruised that spread across her creamy chest. He suspected that this was from the impact of the airbag or even the stirring wheel. She was barely conscious, lethargic even.

"Try to stay awake, angel. Please." Keegan begged.

"Mom, have to get home to mom." She whispered. She was thrashing her head sideways and screamed in pain while one of the nurses was cutting her pants. "It hurts, oh God it hurts. Dad, it hurts. Please. He's after me. He wants to take me away. Dad, don't leave me." She mumbled incoherently. Tears flowed down the side of her face.

Someone is after her? A human could barely hear her but being amongst wolves with heightened sense of hearing, he did not miss anything from her plea; coated in pain and distress. Someone out there was hell bent on harming her, and he was going to deal with it later.

"Shh, I'm here baby, I'll take care of you." Keegan soothed. He glanced at the confused faces of the ER staff. "Ok people, let's get to work on saving your future Luna. Now, MOVE!!"

Without any further delays, they snapped into synchronized motion and transferred her to the trauma bed; started her on an IV line for meds. He asked for somebody to page his good friend and mentor, Dr. Heeley to examine the extent of her head trauma. Dr. Heeley is a neurosurgeon at the same time a respected elder from the pack, his opinion is critical at the moment. Head injuries can be fatal if not managed properly especially in cases of severe trauma. His hands shook as he had to partly rip off her top to place the chest pads and to palpate for any broken bones. He froze for a fraction of a second when he saw the crescent shaped tattoo just above her heart. The place where once they mate and he claims her in that spot, an image of his wolf will form, binding them as one ~ he and his Luna. She really is 'the one' and the other half of his soul.

The possessive side of him took over as he ordered the male interns to keep their hands off his mate. Feeling around the bruise, sure enough it felt tender to touch so he was almost sure she broke her clavicle. He checked for pupillary response and they were still reactive to light so that was good. A glimpse of those beautiful irises told him her eyes were deep shade of brown against his deep sea blues. Her cheeks were finely boned and her bow shaped full lips though bloodied can't be anymore kissable at the moment. Snapping out of his admiration, he checked her legs that were free from her jeans. Fine long legs with her toenails manicured in a sophisticated naked color.

Shit, her right knee cap was out of place, a fracture no less. He mused. Blood was gushing from a long gaping wound on her left thigh. She was a mess.

My poor baby. Somebody is going to pay for hurting you.

"Where the hell is that portable x-ray I asked for?!" He yelled.