Chapter 28 - Control and Surrender

CHAPTER TWENTY EIGHT: 

Tanner Corbin kicked the tires of his jeep repeatedly just minutes after it broke down.  He shoved his hands into his pockets and kicked and stomped and ran his hands through his sexy mane in utter frustration.  In his haste to deposit his Luna to the waiting arms of her mate and alpha, he forgot to check the fucking radiator for water so his jeep overheated.  And what makes the situation even worse is the worn out fan belt that is now hanging against the pulley. Of all days, today had to be unlucky being stuck on the side of the road along the Stagnos and not a single soul in sight.  He could just water down the radiator but the fan belt most definitely had to be replaced.   It was nearly dark; he could go back to the cabin but hell if he would do that.  Keegan and Queran must be shagging at the moment so he doesn’t want to crash into that intimate moment.  He snorted at the remembrance of Keegan getting all riled up at himself and getting all worried about how to orchestrate the whole begging and groveling.  He shuddered at the idea of falling under the spell of a woman.  Though Queran is not just any woman, she is extraordinary so maybe yeah, for someone like her he would most likely be in the same shoes as Keegan.

He called John at the pack house to see if he can pick him up and possibly help tow his jeep.  His call was immediately diverted into a voicemail but before he could even leave a message, his phone died. What a mess! He shook his hand holding the phone that he nearly crushed in his fist.  Resigned to his predicament, he started to walk further up the road to see if he can get some help.  He tried the mind link but no answer was forthcoming, he will try again later.  He sighed at the beautiful sight of the setting sun and before he even realized it, his sure steps found him walking along the embankment.  Looking ahead, he saw smoke coming out of a prairie house. There was nothing modern about the house with its typical low pitched roof and overhanging eaves and a central chimney. A couple of clerestory windows by the front of the house and a swing hung on the porch.  The house was made in deep gray painted stucco siding with dark wood bands.  He has never been to this part of the lake and it piqued his interest.  Maybe he can borrow a phone so he can make the call, maybe even make friends in the process.  For some unexplainable reason, he felt light and ---eager to walk towards the house as it drew him in.  There was a spring in his step and he was looking forward to the encounter.

*****

The mingling of warm bodies and the tangling of limbs felt deliciously heavy against Queran’s nakedness.  They both fell into a dreamless sleep and the recollection of the tale of Keegan’s past told in unadulterated honesty has brought peace into her subconscious and in her heart.  The seeds of the green tendrils of jealousy lurking within was crushed and immediately withered into nothingness. She gently untangled herself from Keegan’s hold to run to the bathroom.  He muffled a whisper to her to stay but slipped back into deep sleep.  She slipped into his shirt and walked towards the kitchen for water and a snack.  All that bedroom gymnastics had made her ravenous for food. She snacked down on some fruit slices and sucked the juices from her thumb when an idea struck.  She quickly went back to the room and scooped the scarf that was discarded during their bout against the wall. 

Perfect!  Keegan was sprawled delectably on his back and his arms beside his head.  The duvet partially covered his taut abs that made her drool.  She climbed up the bed and slowly gathered his wrists and tied him against the tines of the headboard.  Poor B, was too exhausted to even protest and clearly unaware of what she has planned for him.  Staring deviously at her mate, she sat on the cushioned armchair and waited for him to wake up.

*****

Bryleigh was out pitching water from the well as she tended to her herbal garden.  Her back suddenly stiffened and she felt her hackles rise from the back of her neck.  Beads of sweat trickled down from her forehead and cleavage.  She felt the heavy footsteps of somebody coming from behind and scented---him.  Tanner was here and she felt his overwhelming presence more than the confirmation of sight.