Chapter 21 - One Tough Cookie

CHAPTER TWENTY ONE: 

Keegan was wearing the hat of the doctor today, not the alpha.  He missed the adrenaline rush of an emergency and the elation of reviving a patient in a near death situation.  He was on top of his game every single time because he loves what he does.  As a strapping young professional he yearned to carve his niche in society.  It was already a given that he was going to inherit the alpha position of Crimson Hollow, but the drive to make a difference won him over.  There was no question in his mind that he wanted to become a doctor; his hands were made for healing.  He immersed himself knee deep in responsibilities in both arenas and lived by his personal motto that failure is never an option.  Too many lives depended on him and he would be ten times a fool to be anything like the alphas he knew in the past.  They were too wrapped up in the strong pull of power that they most of the time miss the big picture.  He was raised well with a deep seated commitment to protect and to serve.  His world changed from its axis and it just got better.   It is a rarity in a world with billions of people to get the chance, that one chance to find one’s mate and he was a lucky one.   Queran was everything to him.  He needed her like he needed oxygen to fuel his blood, to live and breathe and to function like any well-oiled machinery.  Without her, he would be one husk of a man – a man with no purpose, a man without passion, a man with no direction.  A Luna was a gift whose value outweighs gold.  She would be the guiding light to a darkened soul, the clarity between black and white and the certainty of a new day after the bleakness of night.  She filled his life with the highest form of joy and touched his soul with a sense of calm and humbled him into the depth of self-giving and sacrifice.  Queran held the key to his whole being and she held his heart.  He was counting the minutes till he can hold her in his arms after a long and hard day at work.  He reflected on being  afforded the chance to spend a quiet evening like any normal couple as they go over an accounting of their day and eventually culminate in some honest to goodness cuddling.  Whether or not it progresses into a mingling of souls and a melding of heated flesh is unimportant, all he needs is to be affirmed that she is real and truly there with him.

He was too deep in thought when he just finished with the afternoon rounds and was walking aimlessly to the lift doors when he bumped into a gaunt and frail looking Emma.  She too was oblivious to the oncoming mass of muscle she barreled into.  Strong hands held both her arms to steady her.  Hands that used to masterfully inflame her that she reached heights of passion.  He cringed at the feel of her bone thin frame that he was almost afraid she would break.  She looked so emaciated.  Her hair was tied up in a bun that emphasized her sunken cheeks, pale and chapped lips.  The woman in front of her is not the vibrant Emma he knew.  Concern etched his face like any doctor would exhibit to a patient under his care.  Emma’s eyes had that far away look and appeared glassy and -- empty.  His instincts alerted him and years of careful assessment showed tell tale signs of extreme exhaustion, pain and deep, deep sadness. 

“Emma.  It’s been awhile since you came to work.  I had been told that you took a leave of absence.  Is everything alright?”

Emma just stared at her alpha.  She was dumbfounded and was hit by a sudden panic that he may somehow see through her ruse that everything was just as normal and right in her life.  Guilt pricked her conscience and had been festering in her soul for so damn long.  Part of her wanted to do the right thing but she had long ago made a promise and a commitment to be loyal to her confused and delusional mate.  Nothing is completely lost, she mused; not until her last dying breath. 

“I am fine, thank you for asking alpha.”  She bowed her head in respect.

“There is no need for that Emma.  Things may not have worked between us but I still care for you in the capacity of a friend and as your alpha.  You are still family.  And I hope you realize that.”