Chapter 23 - Precipice

CHAPTER TWENTY THREE:  

Queran was already exhausted by just looking at the expanse of field that was set up as an outdoor gym and training field.  The place almost resembled a military camp with 5 obstacles to get through to the finish line.  A series of hoops, ropes, a log and a 10 foot wall to scale.

As it turned out, Tanner had outdone himself in making sure everything was in order for the day’s training.  She was overwhelmed by the warm reception of a majority of the pack’s youth sector and mostly comprised of the hot blooded and hot tempered teenage boys.  Tanner was smirking at her for having drawn the young pups that had more pride than brains and the girls who cared more for socializing with said boys and their appearance.  Oh she was going to have her hands full and even dirty and Tanner was going to sit back and enjoy the torment.

“Wipe that smirk from your face, beta or you are going to get another ass kicking from me.”  Queran glared at him. 

“What did I do now? I went through all this trouble getting the field prepared and this is the thanks I get.  You wound me, my Luna.” Tanner laid a hand over his heart.

“Aww, poor baby.”  Queran’s pouty lips amused him even more.

Tanner shook and snorted.  “You are something else Queran.  You’re a handful sometimes.  I wonder how Keegan puts up with you.”

“FYI, he loves everything about me.”  She retorted.

Tanner rolled his eyes and raised his arms in defeat.  “Here we go again with the sappy love sick quips.  Whatever.  So! What’ the agenda for today?  The kids would be here in half an hour.”  Queran stuck her tongue out.

“I figured we start with sprints to develop leg power and endurance.   Let’s go for a 3-mile run around the territory and get into the obstacle course.  We group them depending on their level of strength and motor and sensory skills then go from there. You reckon?”

Tanner nodded and rubbed his hands together.  “Sounds like a plan.”

Queran raised a lone eyebrow in consternation. “Are you well, Tanner?  You seem kind of amenable and uhmm happy?  Care to share?”

Tanner let out a full on grin. 

Did he just blush?  Queran thought to herself.

“Am not!”  He countered.

“You ARE blushing.  I can’t believe this.  She came back did she? You finally got around to meeting her, have you?  Oh Tanner I am so happy for you!”

“Excited much.”

“SPILL Beta!  That’s an order.”

“Don’t go all Luna on me, that ain’t gonna work.  BUT, because you’re my girl-friend…er…girl-friend-ish.  Arghhh.  Friend Period.  Whew!  Why the hell am I flustered?  OK, yes.  I sort of felt her but still haven’t seen her.”

“You do realize that you just did not make any sense just now.”

“Well, it’s kind of bizarre and difficult to explain.  I “felt” her but I couldn’t see her.  Does that even make sense? Hell if I know.”  He paced and kicked imaginary stones in his path.

Queran looked with empathy at her friend.  He really does not make sense but she was not going to rub it in.  Maybe there is some kind of explanation.  No not maybe.  There sure is, but yeah hell if they knew.  She approached him and wrapped her arm around his shoulders.  She was struggling a bit with his height and she was stretching out a bit.  She made the mistake of looking at him and there was that smirk again and raised of an eyebrow.  She let go and punched him on the arm and he laughed.