Chapter 24 - Go Into the Light

CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR:  

The sun is near setting and the burst of bright orange and brown hues danced on sight.  A sense of foreboding, farewell beckoning and life has passed Emma by.  She stares out of the window, gazing lovingly at her beloved who is slumped against the tree in wait.  It would have been a welcome sight, to know that he lingers each day and counting the minutes till he holds her in his arms and keep her there forever.  This ‘mortal coil’ as quoted in Shakespeare’s Hamlet is a fitting expression to her current state.  To wallow in a life in deep seated fear, wishful longing, coiling resentment, anger at some point may have filled her days but regret – Never.  Carter Vargas is a broken soul that needed saving and she tried.  Oh goddess she tried, even in her wretched state, she loved him with a fierceness she has never felt and will never feel for any other.  He was her true mate and she was not enough for him. She was never enough for any man she has ever been with.  She was the misunderstood and frightened girl behind a wild and passionate being that she exuded back in the days.  Carter may just be here now and like the other days waiting but never reaching.  He erected indefatigable walls around his heart and his soul that not even her love can penetrate and even heal.  He was here now in a feeble attempt to soothe, to appease and to take pity.  She refused to cry over each passing day.  She was stronger than this and she is going to face the music and play her hand with the cards she was dealt with.

Her back immediately straightened upon scenting the alpha.  His aura of power and strength permeates in every wall or vicinity he is in.  She refused to look but kept her other senses in high alert.  She decided to linger awhile and flee in a few minutes.  Over the week that passed, she had been successful in dodging his effort to talk to her.  She knew Keegan Lucas so well and he can sense a lie when his deep sea blue orbs bore into your soul. She cannot take that chance.  She was preparing to sneak out when she overheard Dan’s hypothesis on her current state.

“Fuck!”  She cursed.  She was found out and she has to leave now before Keegan squeezes the truth from her with his look of genuine care and sympathy for a member of his pack.  She covertly glanced as Dan explained the accuracy of his assumption.  She willed her feet to take the steps and flee from the ugly ominous truth that is staring at her in the face. 

She was halfway down the hall when she heard the alpha’s booming voice behind her.  She ducked in one of the storage closets as Keegan whooshed past her hiding place.  He can no longer catch a whiff of her scent. When she claimed Carter, everything changed as he was now a part of her.  Her heart was beating wildly like it was going to come out of her chest.  She lies in wait and peeped through the small opening of the door.  She was again saved from the interrogation.  It was now time to go home.  She continued to walk towards the locker room and quickly changed her clothes and grabbed her things.  Her Carter was waiting and she would go to him.

*****

The swinging doors of the emergency room flew open for Tanner.  Everyone was too busy doing their jobs and the ER was packed.  He knows the set up like the palm of his hand; he just wanted to grab someone to help him get 2 wheelchairs.  It seemed that there was a multiple trauma being attended to so there was nobody in sight and so he decided to go further in.  He was greeted in the nurses’ station by some of their pack members.

“Hey Tanner!  What brings you here?  Anything you need fixing?”  One of the nurses, Dana clearly flirted with him.  He shook his head in amusement.

“Nah, not me.  The Luna and I brought 2 of the boys to get their bones set.  They got it from a scuffle down at the pack house.  Where can I get wheelchairs and someone to help me wheel them in?”