Chapter 27 - Rewind

CHAPTER TWENTY SEVEN:  

Keegan’s back hurt like hell.  The couch in his study makes a comfortable sofa bed but nothing like the soft down of his bed. But the physical pain was nothing more than what he feels now without Queran in his arms.  The pain of their first argument runs deep and it hurt more to realize he caused it.  He caused her unimaginable pain and the hurt in her eyes cut him so deep that he would do anything to make it all go away.  With a heavy heart he decided to give her the space she needed.  Not that he was avoiding.  Hell, who was he fooling?  He was definitely avoiding the situation where he has to tell her everything.  Queran was one smart girl who will not take any bullshit from anyone.  No, she was one to demand honesty from everybody and she is one who would never pass judgment on anyone else.  He was in awe of her that even with a glimpse of his past, she still cared enough for Emma and how she suffered.  The least that he could do is to afford her the same candor she expects.  It was not going to be easy on his part because she was accurate about one thing- that once in his hopelessness in finding his mate; he thought and considered to settle for Emma.  His heart is now beating fast as he closed his eyes and flashbacks shot through his fading consciousness.

“Hottie at 2 o’clock.”

 Tanner shoulder bumps Keegan as he was busy preparing the podium for the monthly pack meetings. It was the customary investiture of new members to the Crimson Hollow Pack where Keegan Lucas will soon inherit the alpha position after his graduation from medical school. He was on his final year and in six months; he is going to take the reins from his father as he was destined to do.  He was more than capable to manage his career and the needs of the pack; contrary to what some elders think that he would be like some reckless youth.  He was determined to prove them wrong.  Tonight, as alpha-in-training he was going to preside over the induction and the meeting itself. 

He reluctantly scoped the area and eyed on the said hottie.  Oh she was hot alright with a timidity that could be deceiving.  He knew a lot about women with the way he has sown some wild oats back in the days.  He already knew her name from the dossiers of every pack member.  Her blond locks curled around the edges that reached her mid back.  She was simply wearing a purple tee and jeans.  Her toenails peeking out of her sandals were painted in electric blue that stood out in her fair complexion.  She was --pretty in a sweet kind of way but he wouldn’t consider her stunningly beautiful.  She carried herself with an air of confidence and he knew she wasn’t the typical blond girl known for just their looks.  No, this blond actually has brains.  She just recently graduated with a degree in nursing and she is due to start work at the pack hospital where he is completing his residency.

Emma Robbins was moon struck at the power and pure male aura emanating from this man she learned to be the successor of the current alpha. He was eye candy and just the sight of him in his plain white shirt and jeans was enough to get her wet.  The shape of his pecs was defined by his top and his biceps strained at the sleeves.  Oh how she would love to skim her hand on his chest and feel his touch.  She seductively bit her lower lip as he eyed him looking at her. His face gave nothing away but his eyes smoldered and that was a good sign.  She was going to turn up the charm until he finds himself gracing her bed.  She would be willing to give up her innocence for a taste of passion with this compelling man, her alpha.

The induction started as all the new members stood in a neat row.  Keegan said the words with such authority as Alpha Elijah cupped the temples of each and every member, giving them access to mind link.

“Verum et iumenta vestra fide.” (Be true and loyal to your pack.)

The simple reception followed where the alpha family had to mingle. As Keegan reached Emma’s side, the girls she was talking to all blushed at the same time and were practically tongue tied.  Emma, on the other hand, raised a lone eyebrow at Keegan and openly checked him out.