Chapter 31 - Aftermath

CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE: 

His stare was arctic, lips stretched in a grim line that silently bespoke of a rage emanating from his gut.  Keegan’s face was unreadable, it gave nothing away and it only heightened Queran’s disquiet.  She hid nothing from him and there is nothing to feel guilty about.  She played the hand that bordered on risqué but it was all motivated and driven to save the love of her life and their pack.  She had to believe it was the best and the only solution they can all come up with given the time constraints, but seeing Keegan now, who slowly and apprehensively allowed one slow step at a time to walk toward her, she began to doubt. She was wrapped in Tanner’s comforting arm after recovering hastily from whatever drug Carter gave her.  But this uncertainty and the look of disdain on Keegan’s face towards her may have felt more searing that cut deep into her soul.  The lacerations that marred his flesh were audaciously making a show of fusing themselves at will.  He looked feral and truly magnificent in his naked glory, Adonis put to shame. 

“Leave us.”  Keegan ordered, his gaze never leaving Queran.  She slightly flinched as Tanner helped her to get up.  But being a true Luna, she did not cower.  Keegan may be mad at her but he has no right to just bark orders without even asking for an explanation.  If he thinks she would balk, then he has another thing coming especially for a hormonal and very pregnant Luna.

“I don’t think Queran is in a pos…”  Tanner never got to finish his entreaty as Keegan pinned him with a stare that was sharp enough to cut him to the quick.  “I will just be nearby, Q.”

“I said LEAVE, Tanner.  I mean no disrespect, but Queran will not need any more protection now, not even from me.” 

Queran gave a faint smile towards Tanner and nodded her head.  She will be more than capable to handle even a livid Keegan.  Tanner squeezed her hand in reassurance and bowed before Keegan.

“Alpha…Luna…”

Before finally exiting the warehouse, Tanner stole a final glance at the couple and saw what seemed like a stare down.  The tension was so palpable that air seemed thick.  Queran may have taken a huge risk which he naturally did not approve of at first but it seemed the only viable solution at that time.  He was glad it successfully panned out which was evident by the obvious spilling of blood from a bully like Carter Vargas.  He sighed deeply, dropped his head in exasperation and left the premises.  Keegan will have to come into terms with what happened and deal with it.  In the meantime, his body is extremely exhausted and he needed a shower.

“SHIFT!”  Keegan bellowed.

“DON”T treat me like an errant child Keegan.”  Queran countered.

“I will not say it again, Queran.”

Unbidden tears that she struggled to hide this instant trickled down her smooth skin.  The peril the day has brought upon them was just too overwhelming and grueling.  She stepped a foot away and another and another until she pivoted and ran out of the warehouse.  As soon as the warm ray of light from the sun touched her face, she leaped and phased into her beautiful pelt.  She ran aimlessly but felt the ground shook with every thud Keegan’s powerful paws pushed against the earth.  They managed to reach a clearing that opened up to a perpetual meadow.  The burst of colors coming from the wildflowers and the pure scent of nature should have lifted her spirits but it paled to give the desired effect.  The scorching heat of the sun beat down on their backs and the reality of being alive struck her like a raging freight train.  Keegan circled around her when she halted and crouched low at the bed of yarrows and alfalfas, she hid her face in between her forearms in an effort to calm the rapid pounding of her heart.   Keegan clambered gently atop her and dug his claws upon her shoulders, his underbelly resting atop her withers.  Her fierce shaking calmed as she welcomed Keegan’s warmth and his weight upon her.  Keegan growled and sunk his canines deep into her neck, re-claiming her.  She did not resist because as the goddess is her witness she needed this moment too.