Chapter 22: Sunset

It took me forever just to find a shop that sold a blanket for a picnic. I'm not very good at being romantic, but I'll give it a shot when I'm feeling confident. My back aches after sleeping on that shitty mattress I slept on last night. I found a cheap hotel which also had very cheap beds.

"That will be $25.99." How does a fucking blanket cost that much? I huff before handing the cashier money. Everything in New York is fifty times more expensive.

I noticed a flower stand across the street and nearly got hit crossing over to get to it. Daises, roses and other kinds of flowers covered the stand. Bella may like roses, yet again she may like daises. The stand owner convinces sways me towards the daises which I thank her for seeming as I know nothing about flowers.

I check the time to find that it's only two. I'm supposed to be at the dorms by four, so u still have quite a bit of time. I pass a barber shop and head in. My hair hasn't been cut since just before graduation and it's beginning to cover my eyes. The barber cuts off the end of my curls which looks strange but actually good at the same time. Once finished, he styles it up and persuades me to buy some gel which helps men style with my type of hair. I know it may sound dumb, but I buy the product just to impress Bella.

I whistle to grab a taxi drivers attention and succeed. He has an annoying accent just like all the others and I tell him my destination. Within a few minutes we are there with five minutes until four. I have the blanket wrapped up under one arm while the other carries flowers.

"One second!" I hear after knocking on the door. Jessica peaks at me before fully opening the entrance.

"Hello Harry! Bella is still getting ready, but you can come in I'm sure there's nothing you haven't seen." I laugh at her humor before entering the threshold. Every time I come in here I swear it gets smaller, or maybe it's just the huge mess Jessica has on her side.

"Wow nice touch, wish my asshole of a boyfriend got me some every once in a while." She says, referring to the flowers clearly not well hidden behind my back.

"Sorry I took so long my professor kept us twenty minutes late it was absolutely ridiculous." Bella says whilst moving around the room like a chicken with its head chopped off.

"Don't worry about it I'm in no rush, and I got you these." I pull the flowers out from my back. A smile covers Bella's face as she practically snatches the out of my hands.

"Thank you! I told you he was sweet." Jessica rolls her eyes before going back to picking at her nails.

"Do we have a vase?" Shit, I didn't even think to get her one.

"Yeah, it's small but they should fit." Jessica pulls out a small clear vase from the cabinet near her bed.

Bella goes into the bathroom and comes back out with the vase half full with water. She carefully places the flowers before picking up her purse and walking out the door.

"Bye you bitch!" I hear Jessica say jokingly as the door shut.

"Is it just me, or have you become extremely romantic lately?" She's right, usually I hate all the sappy stuff.

"I'm trying to make an effort, that's all. Do you want to pick up sandwiches before we get there?" Of course I forgot to get fucking food for a picnic.

"Sure, there's an amazing sandwich shop called 'Jimmy John's' we can go there and then the park?" I nod, only just realizing how hungry I really am.

"I love your haircut by the way, it really suits you." Her hands lace through my hair probably messing up the style but I could care less.

"It turns you on, doesn't it?" I wiggle my eyebrows making her laugh. I know I've succeeded when she stands on her tip toes to kiss me. The elevator opens, luckily the guy is distracted by his phone and we step out. Bella immediately hails a taxi who takes us to Jimmy Johns. I ordered a ham sandwich; Bella ordered turkey.

The park was across the street, so we decided to walk. A few street performers did amazing acrobats catching out attention. We watched for a few minutes before heading to an open spot in the park. I set down the blankets as Bella pulled out the sandwiches. We ate in silence while watching the sun set over the horizon. It transformed from a fluorescent blue to dark orange within a short period of time. Night set in and we laid down in the grass, staring up at the sky. Bella's head rested on my chest as I gently stroked her hair.

"Do you ever wonder what's out there? There has to be something more than just us." She asked, her eyebrows furrowed deep in thought.

"I bet the aliens are watching right now." Bella swats me, but I know there's a smile on her face.

"I could get used to this." She says just above a whisper.

"Us talking about aliens?" I say, although I know what she means.

"You being here, no fighting or drama with my family. Just you and me." There's a sort of sadness in her voice, one that I've never heard before.

"My grandfather left me the house and all his savings, I'm going to sell everything including the house." Bella is now sitting up, clearly waiting for more.

"I'm going to apply to NYU, but I might not get accepted..." A huge smile spread on her face as she gave me a tight hug. She pulled away when I began to make fake choking noises from her practically crushing my rib cage.

"You will get accepted! You will love it here Harry, trust me. I know the accents are annoying, but the culture and people are amazing. What do you think you'd like to study?"

"I don't actually know." I really have no fucking clue whatsoever.

"Well you don't have to pick it right away, you have time." I shrugged, I haven't even been accepted, hell I haven't even applied yet. What I want to study can be decided later on.

"Are you ready to go?" I asked after looking at the time. It was nearly eight o'clock already. Bella nods before standing up and cringing at the grass stains made on her white dress. Our hands intertwined as we walked back out into the dark streets vaguely lit by the never sleeping city.

(Thanks so much for 50k+ reads! I never thought I'd ever get that many! Please don't forget to vote/comment/follow!)