.Chapitre Un.

“Reagan Hope Spencer, how do you plead?” Judge Moray asked me and my defense team tiredly. We've been in court all day and it was finally time to hear the verdict. The judge usually asks you what you plead at the beginning, but this judge does things differently.

And that's the thing about Judge Moray that scared me the most. He was careless, maybe even reckless. Even more so than I was.

Wiping my sweaty palms on my suit-skirt slyly, I finally stood up. This was the biggest case of my life. I’ve been to court more times than I can count and I’m only 15 years old. I’m not usually this nervous, but this time is different. There where multiple charges against me; charges I didn't think I could get out of.

I silently cursed my parents in my head. Maybe if they would have gotten me a good defense lawyer I wouldn't be a nervous wreck right now. Well, my step-uncle I should say. I could tell he was getting tired of paying for it and it showed. That's probably the reason he got me a public defender.

Something I wasn't happy with.

“Ms. Spencer, the court is waiting.” Judge Moray spoke out, this time sounding more aggravated. Shit, I needed to speak now, or else.

“Not Guilty, your honor.” I told him, using what I hoped was my most innocent and sincere sounding voice.

He just let out a short chuckle as he opened the folder with my verdict on it. I dragged in a sharp breath waiting for his answer. The air felt electric, and I snuck a small glance back at my step-Uncle. The only person I could count on in my life.

“Well Ms. Spencer, the jury and I both seem to think something completely different.” When he spoke those words my heart dropped and I felt the tears get ready to pour over.

“Reagan Spencer, The state finds you guilty of Attempted Murder. You will hereby be sentenced to ten years in prison with the possibility of parole in six with good behavior. Court adjourned.” With that he banged his gavel and stood up to leave. The bailiff came over to me and I broke down and cried.

This was it. I screwed up big time, and now I was going to prison.

*****************

I hated remembering that day. I hated everything about it. Because of one, small, selfish mistake, I was in prison. And as far as my good behavior was going, well I was doomed. The guards didn't know how to keep their hands to themselves. They thought I was an essay target due to my size. Well, they thought wrong.

Since I’ve been in prison, I’ve been in thirty-eight fights. Thinking about it brought a small smirk to my face, and then a grimace. If I kept this up, I was never getting out of here. I balled my dark brown hair behind my head, just for something to do.