23

" And all I need is to be struck by your electric love. Baby, your electric love. Electric love."

The music plays through the venue and I thank the specialist before stepping away from the soundboard. After the ten hour drive, the night before yesterday, we finally arrived at the venue and helped the bands with their bags when they arrived. Once we finished helping them they made their way to an interview and we visited the venue in order to get a better sense of the place. For the San Francisco show, two nights ago, Jack offered to do it while I went out with Derek to the radio interview. A mistake. I should have simply done my job.

This morning when we arrived at the venue we unloaded the equipment, so now we're simply preparing for the sound checks and the show. I slept most of the ride here and I didn't do much scouring of Portland yesterday so I've been probably fueled to be working constantly today. But luckily while I was working I asked one of the crew members in charge of the music to play one of my favorite songs to listen to. Hearing it throughout the venue just makes it even more amazing. Sadly enough I've never seen Børns live so this is the second best thing.

As I begin to make my way backstage I run into the familiar face I was subconsciously hoping I would run into. Derek mutters several apologies under his breath before gazing up at me then almost instantly gazing back down. I try to reach for his shoulder so we can talk but he moves away from my grasp and makes his way off the stage. Why is he acting so strange? One second he's bothered by other men showing me attention then the next he's failing to give me that attention. I've been trying my best to not be fazed by his behavior but working together isn't making it very easy. I huff loudly before continuing to make my way backstage until I run into another familiar face, that is actually glad to see me.

" Hey." Shay says with a huge smile before leaning forward and giving me a short yet tight embrace.

" Hey." I say before she links her arm around mine and we walk through the backstage while I look around, making sure everything is going as planned and is working well. " What you been up to?" I ask her as I gaze at the Lightning specialist set up the boards.

" You know just been spending some quality time with my boyfriend." She says with a smirk and a wink. I laugh at her statement before nudging her shoulder with mine.

" Well I hope you're having fun." I tell her, both of us still laughing.

" Yeah lots." She says and we both laugh louder than before. We haven't even known one another for a whole week and we already act like we're the closest friends ever. If I'm being completely honest I think she may just be one of the best friends I've ever had. Most of my teenage years I spent traveling so I didn't get to make much friends and if I did make them they were usually temporary or guys. My masculine side always showed through and I guess girls were intimidated by it. " So what about you and that one guy you said tried to kiss you?" She asks and I sigh before rolling my eyes at the drama that has unfolded within the short span of five days. I tell her about how he tried to kiss me and how he's been ignoring me and she listens intently and quietly as I speak and vent to her. Once I'm finished I take a deep breath and she rolls her eyes before gazing at me with a dumbfounded look. " Fuck em." She says seriously and I laugh. " No I'm serious. You're too great to have to deal with a bunch of assholes. You deserve better." She says, smiling shortly after she notices the light laugh that erupts from my lips. Somehow when she refers to an a-hole my mind instantly wanders to Alex. He's a pretty big a-hole.

" Jocelyn." Jack steps towards us, giving both of us a kind wave and greeting. " We finished the set up." He tells me and I nod my head before thanking him. I look towards Shay and she nods her head towards me in an understanding matter. I give her a sympathetic look and apologize for having to leave but she waves it off before letting me get back to work.