36

" Shoot down the spies in the trees
And kick up the leaves
In the morning breeze
Pay no mind"

Light music radiates from inside the confined space as I push the door open and reveal its emptiness. My eyes scan the room before I'm sure it's clear and I enter, quietly. The music continues playing from a set of speakers in the corner as I search through the exposed areas of the room. I search on the first counter that holds a messy arrangement of gum wrappers, opened packets of condoms, and rolling paper before moving away from what i presume is probably Nick's counter, considering the condoms and rolling paper. I gaze at the next counter that holds a photo of a lovey blonde woman and Jamie, a lighter, and a water bottle. Then I gaze at the third one that holds an unopened packet of condoms and a magazine before finding nothing and continuing onto the last counter. The clean and tidy counter holds the very familiar gel and comb from last time but it lacks , again, what almost all the other counters have, condomns. I don't bother searching around for too long so I start to make my way out, my emotions urging me to leave after coming into contact with what I'm sure is Alex's belongings. As I step away I gaze back at his things but before my body can make its way to the front of the door, it opens and reveals the man I was hoping wouldn't appear for very long. I stand still, holding my breath and gazing at him as he speaks to the person behind him.

" I'm glad you finally came to your senses, I am on my last-" he speaks to her and I watch as her body appears shortly after his. She rolls her eyes at him before his eyes move towards me and her eyes follow suit. A guilty look crosses her face and I swallow hard as Shay looks down at her feet. Alex gazes at me with a confused expression and I'm taken back when he speaks. " What's wrong?" He asks as if I look like I've just seen a ghost. His worried behavior is simply another act so I don't bother to answer his question.

My blood is boiling and I feel the anger from what he said about us being together resurface. I bite down on my lip and try to contain myself but before I can stop myself I'm speaking.

" No it's ok I was just leaving." I huff gazing back and forth between the two. My mouth somehow betrays me and I find myself saying something else than what I thought I would say. " There's some condomns on Matts counter for you two to use." I grin at them malevolently before making my way towards the door, letting my shoulder hit both of theirs. I make my way outside but as I step out and shut the door behind me I return from my trance and instantly feel regret take over. I had planned on getting angry at him for what he spoke about before but for some reason nothing of that sort came out of my mouth. I don't even understand why I was so angry all of a sudden. I wasn't before. Even when he would bother me while I was trying to work.

" Hey," Shays voice come up from behind me, much quieter than usual. I feel her hand land on my shoulder, and my body reacts involuntarily.  I flinch away and turn around briskly as if I'm upset with her when I should only be upset with Alex.

" Why do you do that to Christo!" I half-shout at her, still unsure of why my behavior is so vile towards her. I'm trying to convince myself that the rage is coming from the way she's been cheating on her boyfriend but even I'm aware enough of my feelings to know that that's not the real reason why.

She flinches at my sudden loud tone and steps away, putting some space in between the both of us as if I've just physically pushed her away. She bites down on her lip and I watch as tears threaten to spew from her eyes. My mind tells me to speak up and apologize but my body betrays me once again and stays quiet, watching her emotions towards my harsh words unravel her melancholy.

" Uhm," she clears her throat and swallows a lump in her throat before speaking up again.
" Alex asked if you could please come inside." She says and this time I swallow the lump in my throat and nod towards her, assuring her that I heard the request. She steps away shortly after and I stay in my spot, contemplating whether or not I should complete his request and return to the room. Before I know it my feet are moving me towards the door and my hand is twisting the knob. I don't bother to knock and be polite and I simply just walk in, the instant my eyes catch him my breathing accelerates. He steps away from looking in the mirror on his counter and turns to look at me, making his way towards me at an almost unrecognizable pace.