41

"And I warned you, I warned you."

A very familiar and lovely song radiates from inside the eclectic and quaint cafe as me and Clair step inside, prepared to catch some breakfast on our first break day in almost a week. We haven't had one for a while and I'm glad I finally have time to myself and to do what I please. The only unfortunate part being that we'll be spending these next two days in Chicago, my indescribable hometown. 

" What are you getting?" She asks and I look at the menu only for the sake of looking at it. I'm already sure of what I'll be getting. I use to come here with my older cousin when I was a delusional teenager blind to the worlds harsh realities.

" I'm going to get some boba tea." I inform her and she nods before looking at the menu and squinting her eyes, adjusting her glasses when squinting doesn't work as well as she hoped.
" What about you?" I ask and she shrugs, letting out a light chuckle at her own cluelessness. " You should get the foamed tea." I tell her and she squints again, trying to get a better look at the menu and what I'm talking about. She mouths an oh sound before nodding her head and moving back, no longer shoving her head forward to see the menu.

" Has Shay texted you?" She asks as we wait in line to take our orders. I shrug my shoulders before pulling out my phone and gazing at the screen. After getting up this morning Clair suggested we go scouring in the city and get some breakfast. I obliged kindly although my gut told me to decline her offer. We didn't see Shay on our way out or when we woke up so Clair requested that I contact her in order to invite her to get breakfast with us. I almost wanted to lie and tell Clair she said no without actually asking her but internally I thought it would be nice to see Shay again. These past couple of days haven't been as great without her and my mind subconsciously wants her back. She was always the one I could confess stuff to without having to feel guilty and insecure. Without her it's just not the same. Not to mention so much things have happened since we drifted apart. Without her I'm just left with my own dangerous jumbled up thoughts.

I shake my head at Clair's question before putting my phone away and gazing up at the cafes counter where they're taking orders. Shortly after I put my phone away it rings in my back pocket and I pull it out almost instantly.

Shay: Hey, yeah I'll love to go :) see you there in a bit

She responds sounding much more formal and squarish than usual. I inform Clair and she nods with a smile. She's surely glad that we're all getting back together again. We're a nice trio, we help one another out and whenever we spend time together it's fun.

Me and Clair take our orders and take a seat in a table near the large glass wall in the front of the cafe. We make small talk and occasionally sip our tea, taking our time so we can save as much of it while we wait for Shay. Almost half an hour goes by before a black van pulls up to the corner of the cafe. The busy on going cars fly by as the door is opened and Shay steps out. We gaze at the truck and notice a familiar face as he peers out and speaks to her. Shay rolls her eyes once Alex tells her something with a smirk and she waves him off before making her way towards the cafe, ignoring what he says from inside the van. She makes her way inside and Alex shuts the door after gazing through the glass and staring at me. He doesn't bother to say or do anything and instead shuts the door, letting the van race off shortly after. I briskly look away and let out the breath I was holding in. My hands fumble with my cup as I look down towards the table and my feet, trying my best to control my emotions and thoughts.

" Hey guys." Shay says as I look up and gaze at her facial features that show a clearly pained smile. Clair gives her a friendly wave and a bright smile before getting up and embracing her in a tight hug. I don't bother moving at first but once Clair lets go and they both turn to look at me I get up and rush to give her a hug as well. We sit down once were done welcoming her and when she's finally across from me and I can see her face clearly I let out a light gasp. She looks absolutely exhausted and drained. Her skin pale and her under eyes dark. Her eyes are bloodshot and by the redness spread across certain features on her face I can tell that, although she's trying to cover it up with makeup and a smile, she's been crying. " So what's good here?" She asks sniffling quietly before looking back at us with a thin smile.