58

" We always seem to find a way
to fuck things up
At the worst time, you know"

One of the crew members holds up his phone to another and begins a conversation. My ears only picking up on his excited tone as he speaks to him about a song that sounds familiar but that I've never bothered to listen to myself.

" I'll have a roasted chicken sandwich" I tell the lady at the front counter, looking around the store as she types down on the touch screen pad. I finish my order and ask for a Coke, pulling out my money to pay and taking my food with me before sitting down on an empty spot away from the rest of the crew. I unwrap my sandwich and pick at its falling condiments and veggies. I take a sip from my coke and set it down gazing at my sandwich as I hear the sound of someone moving coming from in front of me. A man randomly sits in front of my seat on my booth and I clear my throat, taking a bite of my sandwich and looking up at him as he adjusts his food and gazes at me.

" Do I know you?" He asks in a posh accent, leaning back on his chair and looking at me intently. I shrug my shoulders as he squints his eyes and leans closer as it he's examining my every feature to analyze it's familiarity. " I think I've seen you around." He lies, leaning back in his spot and taking a sip from his drink. I try my best to hold back a laugh and bite down on my lip as I continue to see his best attempt at flirting. " I've just been too shy to approach you." He shrugs, looking around the building after he's done. I nod my head and take a bite from my sandwich, deciding to take my time before I decide to expose him for his bullshit.

" That would be interesting considering this is my first day ever visiting this place." I laugh, taking another bite from my sandwich as his eyes widen when he hears me. " nice try." I say taking another bite of my sandwich as he bites down on his lip and looks down, embarrassed by the fact that his attempt to flirt was shot down by the logical fact that there's no possibility he saw me before. " I'm Jocelyn." I introduce myself, extending my hand out and watching him return the gesture. " I'm actually from California." I tell him, taking a sip from my drink and wiping my mouth with a napkin. He opens his mouth to speak but is interrupted by Claire approaching us and sitting down next to me.

" It's like these people don't know what being vegan is." She laughs lightly, sitting down on the spot next to mine as she continues complaining. " They wouldn't stop asking if I wanted a type of meat or cheese." She rolls here eyes, giggling lightly towards the end before finally turning to look in front of her. She turns to look at me and makes a quiet oh sound. I laugh by her side before watching as the man extends his hand out to greet her.

" I'm Alex." He informs us, the sound of me choking on my drink startling both of them as Claire pats my back and he looks at me in a frightened way from across the table. I finally steady myself and clear my throat, taking a drink from Claire's water and assuring her I'm fine. Several seconds later once I began to steady my breathing it's knocked out as Shay steps into the sandwich shop, a smile implanting her face as she approaches the table and greets us all, pushing Claire closer into the booth. Claire greets her kindly with a wave and hug before smiling and turning to look at the rest of the group, shay's eyes doing the same as she gazes back and forth between me and the Alex in front of us.

I clear my throat and don't bother responding. After seeing her texts this morning I had what seemed to be a panicked moment of revelation. I felt completely disgusted by myself and by my recent behavior which only caused me to look back at the life I had first lived when I lost Slick. Something I was hoping I would never have to relive.

" are you from here?" Claire asks, taking a drink from her water and gazing at the man. Our eyes scan his attire of a blue sweater and khakis and he laughs lightly.