9. Guess Who's Back for an (Undeserved) Third Chance? This Winchester.

"So, you mean to tell me that my brothers unleashed the Darkness, God's sister?" I rub my face out of exhaustion.

After our encounter with Metatron, Cas and I have returned back to the bunker. On the way back, Cas let Dean and Sam know what was going on—minus the stuff about me, of course. I'm changing into baggy clothing, something to make me feel comfortable after a rather exhausting day. Cas is deciding to stand in my room with me.

"It wasn't intentional."

"I'm sure it wasn't. How the hell did you manage that?"

"I'm not quite sure, they never discussed details. You know how our lives go: we cure one problem and create another," Cas continues.

"But the freaking Darkness? Come on, Cas!" I pull my shirt over my head. Cas looks away out of curtesy. "How do you tackle that problem?"

"We're not sure. We're looking into it."

I pull down an extra big long-sleeved shirt. "I can help. I may not be field-worthy, but I can stay here and do research. You know, out of sight of my brothers of course."

"Josette—"

"Look, I don't know how well they'll take to seeing me. I'm different, slightly." I tug on the edge of one sleeve. "The last they saw of me, I sported black eyes. Dean nearly killed me and vowed to do so the next time we cross paths. He'll gun for me the second he sees me."

"I don't know about that..."

"He will."

"But the Mark of Cain is gone from him."

This is news to me. "How long were you keeping that gem of news from me, Cas?"

"You never asked."

"You could've mentioned it!"

"There was never a proper time to." He shrugs.

I shake my head. "The Mark could've just enhanced his hatred towards me. And I'm sure Sam wants nothing to do with me after I ran out on him, again. For the third time." I rub my face. "I think I can hide in here, not have them see me. This place is big enough to play hide-and-seek in."

"Josette."

"What?"

"You can't run and hide from this."

"Oh, yeah? Watch me."

"Cas?" That's not me who says the angel's name; it's my older brother, Dean Winchester. "You here?"

"You're being summoned," I say hollowly.

"They deserve to see you," Cas insists.

"I deserve a lot of things, Cas. Their love isn't one of those things."

He reaches down and takes one of my hands. "I won't force you to join us, because I know you're stubborn." A tiny smile crosses his face. "You know where we'll be if you want to show yourself." He presses a tender forehead kiss to me before he leaves me to ponder my thoughts in my room.

You don't deserve their love, Franco's voice hisses in my head. I wince, covering my ears. You abandoned them. You'll be killed on sight. Castiel somehow still cares for you. It's been some time since I've heard his voice.