15. To Lucifer's Cage We Go!

"Jo, you could've just stayed at the bunker," Sam insists as we walk beside each other. "You didn't have to do this."

It didn't take long for Rowena to find what we needed, and for Crowley to get the said ingredients. Dean had gone to see Amara's latest massacre path, so I had opted to babysit with Sam.

So, yes, we're in Hell now. The very place where I lost myself. The very place where I'd met Alex Franco. It feels like nothing's changed. But this is new to me, because I was used to the view behind bars. Still, I can't deny the high brick walls feel like they're closing in on me. The torches give me flickers of head pain. To make things even "better", a storm rolls overhead.

"I wasn't about to let you walk in with them on your own," I tell my little brother as Rowena and Crowley walk ahead of us. "Besides, it makes me feel better." Hopefully it'll make Dean feel better too.

"Flop sweat, sonny?" I hear Rowena ask Crowley. "Dread of what's to come?"

"Can it," snaps the King of Hell. "Your barbs may amuse your circle of hags. You have no idea what you're tampering with, what Lucifer is capable of."

"Well, dear, if you can't stand the heat, get out of Hell."

We walk down bricked steps. All I see is a large, empty cage, with a table away from it. I close my eyes uneasily, willing my Hell tour out of my head. Focus on the now. Don't let the past get to you.

"I must say it's not as scenic as I'd expected," Rowena mutters.

"We are in the furthest reaches of Hell, Limbo, where I send unruly souls for timeout," Crowley explains.

"This is where I meet with Lucifer?" asks Sam. His voice sounds so small. He's wary too, just as much as I am.

"What it lacks in ambience it makes up for in security."

Rowena gets to work, painting sigils on the case, while Sam, Crowley, and I watch. The thunder continues overhead. This is new to me. I didn't have the pleasure of thunder as music; I had the pleasure of screaming souls, including my own.

"Makes your flesh crawl, doesn't it?" Crowley mutters. "I get it. I'm the King of this place. It's still not my cup of tea."

"I don't know, Crowley," I say, trying to ignore my fear. "I'd say it suits you. Dark. Empty."

"Fascinating; the utter contempt, when I'm in the midst of saving the Winchesters' bacon, again."

"The point of this is to save everyone's bacon, including yours," Sam tells him. "Let's just hope she knows what she's doing. This cell won't hold crap if the warding isn't right."

"Don't you worry about me, Samuel, I'm a professional," says Rowena.

"Are you certain you can do this without actually opening the Cage?" asks Crowley.

"We are about to find out, aren't we? Foro dega la moray! Mah ho tah!"

I stumble back, seeing flames shoot up around the Cage. My hand finds Sam's.

"Now, let's have a go at that Cage," Rowena purrs. "Foh reh say-lah!"

I wince as the thunder becomes louder overhead. Talk about dramatic.