22. Time Travel Gone Wrong

"There were several God-touched objects, but it never occurred to me that any of them survived the flood, let alone the twentieth century."

It didn't take long for Cas to get to the bunker. My brothers and I brought up what we found earlier through our research.

I don't understand why Cas hadn't come around sooner, but then I remember: the day he got his Grace back, his wings were shredded. They have to be too painful to use at this rate.

"Do you think we can use it against Amara?" I ask curiously.

"It's perfect. And I can get you back there."

"Without wings? Cas, you can't even teleport."

"Time travel, is a, it's a whole different system."

"Told ya!" Dean quips. I roll my eyes at him.

"So uh, these the last coordinates?" Cas peeks at a piece of paper.

"That's the Bluefin's last transmission to shore, yeah."

"Alright."

"Wait a second," Sam cuts in. "Cas, aren't there still risks with time travel? I mean aren't there consequences?"

"Sam, this is the ideal scenario," says Dean.

"What?" I find myself giving Dean the same confused look as Sam currently does now.

"That sub is a tin floating in the middle of the ocean doomed to go down, you can't really mess with history at twenty-thousand leagues. So we get in, get the weapon, get out. It's a milk run."

"Well that's not a very good plan," I say adamantly.

"Well, if things get outta hand, then Cas will just, zap me right back."

"You?"

"You and Sam aren't going."

"I beg your pardon?" asks Sam.

"Just what are you talking about, Dean?" I say, raising a suspicious eyebrow.

"You need to stay here," our older brother insists.

"Stay here?" I look at Sam, who's looking at me.

"Just in case things go sideways, somebody needs to be left standing to take care of the Darkness. We can't risk all three of us! And at the moment, I'm the least valuable player! You all know that I can't kill Amara, so the least I could do is get the thing that we need so that you can!"

Right. An earlier case—not involving Amara oddly enough, but something that made Dean see her—proved to the three of us that he, for some reason, wasn't capable of taking her on. Sam and I don't blame him for what's going on, nor do we judge him on it.

"So you expect us to sit here and ride pine while you and Cas go play Jules Verne?" asks Sam.

"Yes! No. I—who?"

"I won't let him out of my sight," Cas tells Sam and me.

"You'll stay by his side the entire time?" I ask firmly.

"I will."

"Sam, Jo, let me do this," Dean says. "Okay, I need to do this."