30. Fighting the Fog

Well, this is unfortunate.

I feel like I've been drugged. It's like a sickness that's crawling through my veins, and I can feel all of it. Every single inch that it moves. I can feel it tightening inside of me, taking over.

I'm not coughing like Sam is, I'm more sputtering for breath and trying to blink off the black spots that are already starting in my vision.

Dean has realized that his two younger siblings aren't okay; he rushes to us. I see his mouth moving, and I know he's talking to me, but right now I can't focus. I'm panicked, I'm frightened. I'm scared for Sam, for Dean. For myself. For the people who are stuck in this police station with us, defenseless against this fog and the people that it's already infected.

There's no stopping it.

I think about the people who are rabid to get in here. Sam and I, we'll become that. It'll be like revisiting my demon days, only amplified. Just without the demonic powers. I can't go back to that. I'm not dying, not again. I can't.

"Hey, hey, come on, Jo! Say something!" I recognize the feel of Dean's coarse hands on my face, shaking me rather harshly. "Don't go mute on me!"

"I-I'm trying," I say weakly, looking at him with half-lidded eyes.

"Folks, we need to stay together, okay?" says the sheriff. Why are you here? Go into another room already. Or do they not know the fog's breached the station?

"Sam!" says Dean.

"No, no!" Sam moans. "Get back! Don't!" He, like me, is gasping for breath. I shudder, feeling the black veins crawl.

"My god, they're infected," says the sheriff.

"Everybody, get inside!" Dean orders, gesturing to another room.

"Everybody!" The sheriff begins to herd the others into the other room. The little girl is still crying. I'm already slumped on the floor, and Sam is about two leg shakes away from crumpling to the ground alongside me. "Come on. Let's move. Come on."

I look blearily at hearing the noise. Our visitors at the front door are in a mad frenzy to reach us. Soon enough, I'll be as rabid as them. So will Sam. We'll tear each other apart. It won't matter who people are to us, we'll want to kill them. For all I know, I may turn on Sam and end up killing him. He may end up killing me.

"Come on! Let's go! Get in here!" the sheriff yells at Dean. I think back to the last time someone wanted Dean to abandon his family. I already know what he's gonna say.

"No! I'm not leaving my brother and my sister!" he insists.

The sheriff looks at Dean as though he's insane, but he respects my brother's choice and shuts the door, separating the three of us from the rest of them. To help them out, Dean focuses on sealing the door. Sam pulls me to my feet, but we almost end up falling over each other. This sickness is getting worse. How long before it reaches our minds? How long before the animal comes out in us?

I cry out, feeling something knock into my one shoulder blade, and I find myself falling into Sam. My eyes find a brick on the floor. The fog is now pooling in from the hole in the window. Glass shards litter the floor.

"Help me," Sam rasps. Between the two of us, we get a board and begin to heave it towards the broken window. But halfway through, Sam trips, and I lose my grip on the board. I hover at his side as his coughing fits continue.