23. "Cat's Out."

23. "Cat's Out."

"Cas?!" I ask hysterically. "Cassie?"

I watch the struggle, side-glancing to my little brother, who's still unconscious on the floor near me. I can feel my heart shatter to pieces. What made him do it? Why did he let Lucifer in? What did that snake whisper to him?

I tense, watching Lucifer—or Cas, I'm not sure at this point—collapse on the floor. At this moment, Sam decides to wake up. He skitters away from them.

"Sammy," I whisper, putting a hand on him.

"Sam, Josette, it's me."

My mouth parts in relief. That voice definitely belongs to Cas. So does the look of pure concentration and struggle. I feel the tears in my eyes.

"Cas?" I whimper, looking at him sorrowfully. "Why?"

"I wanted to be of service to the fight. And only Lucifer can beat her."

"You chose this?" Each word out of my mouth sends another fissure into my heart. "You have to fight, Cas!"

"Eject him now!" Sam encourages.

"I can't!" says Cas. "It's taking all my strength to keep him from killing you. And besides, we need him."

"No, Cas, we don't," I plea. "We'll find another way to stop Amara! Get him out! Come back to us!" Come back to me.

Cas shakes his head. "We need him to save Dean."

"You can't time travel," Sam reminds him.

Another shake of Cas's head. "Only Lucifer can."

"You can't let him take over again," I say desperately.

"I have to."

"Cas!"

The second I see the change and see that it's Lucifer in control now, he disappears, leaving Sam and me flabbergasted. I feel floored, like someone's drowning me and I can't escape it. Lucifer. Lucifer. Cas let the Devil share a body with him. I wanted to be of service to the fight. My head is reeling. And only Lucifer can beat her.

"D-did you...?" Sam sputters.

"If I had known, I would've told you and Dean," I say shakily.

Speaking of our older brother, he and Lucifer pop back into the bunker. Dean's got a cloth in his hands, and he notices us on the floor.

"Dean—that's not Cas!" Sam warns him.

Dean stares at the two of us, before looking at Lucifer. I feel horrified watching my boyfriend's face—currently being worn by the Devil—twist into a sheepish, gleeful grin.

"Cat's out," Lucifer sings. I jump to my feet as Dean is launched over the table, landing on the floor on the other side, against the wall. "I feel a burden lifted. You know, this whole—deep cover thing—it just wasn't—it wasn't terribly well thought out. Donning this—this Cas mask? This grim face of angelic constipation? It was just—ugh. And then, teaming up with you three. I mean, I thought you were insufferable as mortal enemies, but working with you. That's the soul crusher." As Dean tries to stand, Lucifer shoves a force my brother's way, pinning him to the wall. "Guess the only perk was cozying up to your sister here." He winks in my direction, and I feel like I'm about to be sick. "Told you we'd get to know each other, Jo-Jo."