41.5 - The Circle of Life

41.5 – The Circle of Life

"You're sure she's going into labor?" asks Sam. I hear the Impala rev as he begins to gun it down the road.

"We can't take any chances," says Cas. "Here." He hands Sam the phone. "It's about twenty minutes away."

"Oh, yippie," I grunt.

"Hang on back there," says Sam. There's life in his voice, but it's not the happy kind.

Cas croons to me, failing at coaching me on what to do. Some of the pain that I'm feeling sends me into brief screaming fits. I see Sam look at me, panicked hazel eyes, through the mirror. I'm sure this is bringing him back to the night I died. Only I'm not. I'm possibly going into labor at this point, and I'm scared.

I'm not fucking prepared for this. Hunting does not prepare you for childbirth.

"Easy, easy," Cas says against my temple. I squirm in my seat, I'm not wearing a seatbelt. I feel like I need to move, that if I do, the pain will go away. But it doesn't. It's menstrual cramping, multiplied by one hundred.

Besides, I know Sam won't crash us.

"I'm going as fast as I can, Jo," Sam says front upfront. "Bear with me."

"N-no rush, Sam," I say sarcastically. "I've only got a hybrid baby trying to force her way out." I swear if she pops out of my stomach like something in a sci-fi movie, I'm gonna lose it. I know it's an overreaction, but, this baby isn't one hundred percent human. Try fifty percent human, fifty percent angel. A...

Shit, what did Cas say that our baby is? It started with a letter. An "N", I think?

As a Winchester dies, another is born. The sick circle of life we live in.

"J-just think, guys, we'll have a new addition," I pant. Maybe talking will help the pain.

Ha, wrong.

It's a bunch of cursing, and reassuring, in the Impala, on the way to the ER. Cas is already out of the car before Sam parks it. Instead of helping me out, Cas puts his arms under me and lifts me up and out. He fast-walks, with Sam at his side.

"She's going into labor!" Sam announces the second we breach the ER doors.

Immediately, chaos ensues. Nurses are barking orders at each other. Instead of a gurney, I'm brought a wheelchair. Cas sets me in it gently, and a male nurse in Stormtrooper scrubs begins to wheel me away, nearly barreling people over in haste.

I'm panicking, I'm afraid. I search for Sam and Cas, who are hastily jogging to keep up. I alternate reaching for both of them. Cas's fingers and mine connect for a few seconds before the grip breaks.

We zoom down the halls until we turn into a delivery room. My heart's running, and the pain's increasing. Above, the lights flicker, which makes me panic even more. Will I be giving birth in the dark?

As I'm being helped, Cas and Sam are talking heatedly with the nurses in the room, arguing their case.

"Let them stay," I croak, feeling an intense sweat break out on my forehead. "Let them stay. They're family."

"Miss," says the male nurse who wheeled me in.

"Please." I look around at the different faces. "That's my brother," I gesture to Sam, "and he's the father of the baby." I gesture to Cas. "Let them stay."

"If neither of you can handle it, I suggest you bow out now," says a female nurse in mahogany scrubs. "Childbirth ain't pretty, and honestly, fainters only get in our way."

"We'll take our chances," says Sam uncomfortably. "What can we do?"

"Support her. Keep her calm. If you make her worse, we escort you out. She's already in labor, that's stress enough."

Cas and Sam both look uncomfortable as they're at my sides. I've got an iron grip on Sam's hand, and Cas has my other, smoothing my hair down.

"Keep your eyes on me," he says calmly. "Listen to them."

"We won't go anywhere, Jo," Sam says strongly. "We're here."

Nodding feverishly, I look at the staff that we have in here with us. Time to deliver.

**I contemplated not doing a small chappie, but I couldn't resist.**