19. High School Mystery

"Victim's name is Stephen Phelps, he was a math teacher," Jody reports. "Alex's favorite, actually."

We're outside of Marshall High school. A body had been found earlier this morning. A fireman and the coroner are wheeling the body off the school grounds. Sam, Dean, and I had jumped at the chance to run out in FBI getup.

"I'm sorry to hear that," Sam says sincerely.

"Phelps was found hanging upside-down from the top of the flag pole, duct-taped. Like his neck had been snapped first."

"Any witnesses?" I ask.

"Only the lucky custodian that found him."

"So, how did the killer get Phelps up there in the first place?" asks Sam. "Unless he had his own fire truck?"

"Yeah, so the killer climbs up twenty feet, a guy on his back, and duct tapes him?"

"Yeah, and why?"

Jody pulls evidence out from her pocket. "We found this around the flag pole, if it means anything. I already sent a sample to the lab." Sam takes the back, examining it. He shakes his head, an indication that he's not sure what it is.

"What else do you know about Phelps?" I ask Jody.

"Just that he was a damn fine teacher. He really helped Alex out, I know that."

"I knew it," says Claire, who's talking towards our group. "So, what are we dealing with? Demons, ghost possession?"

"Claire, this is a crime scene, you can't be here."

"Oh, but the fake FBI can?"

"Hey!" I say, slightly offended.

"Keep your voice down!" Jody hisses to Claire.

"All right, all right." I grab Claire's arm, pulling her away, Dean follows me.

"I was trying to work the case," Claire insists. "The case everyone said wasn't real."

"And you know what, you were right. Okay? There is something unnatural going on here. But you can't just walk up in front of a bunch of officers and demand that the sheriff give you details on a murder investigation."

"Can we talk about the body now?"

I pinch the bridge of my nose. "Oh I'm not even near finished." Claire rolls her eyes. "Hey."

Dean puts his arm out against me. "I got it, Jo." He addresses Claire. "You need to show Jody a little respect. She did you a huge solid by taking you in. She got you set up at school—"

"I don't wanna go to school."

"Nobody wants to go to school, Claire, it's school!"

"Exactly!"

"My point is—she's been busting her ass to get you set up with a life. She's feeding you, hell you got a nicer room that I do now. She kept you out of jail..."

"I never asked her to."

"And that's what I'm talking about. You need to act like you give a crap! You need to appreciate what that woman's done—"