13. The Zanna Killer

We end up burying Nicky the mermaid, even though Dean and I seem to do most of the work.

By nightfall, we're at another house, the place where Weems supposedly is. We search through the sheets on the lines. I'm not sure what Weems looks like, so I honestly have no idea who I'm looking for.

"There," I say, finding blood stains. The four of us follow the trail, which leads into a garage.

"Weems!" Sully exclaims as he runs to his best friend. "Weems, are you okay?"

"Yeah, ugh," Weems says. "It went right through my love handle. My fat saved me. Can you believe that?"

"Fat is the best."

"I didn't realize we were intruding on a bromance," I mutter.

"Yeah, well, the mermaid wasn't so lucky," says Dean.

"Is he talking to me?" Weems asks Sully. "Who are these guys?"

"They're friends," says Sully.

"Hey, Weems, when was the last time you saw Nicky the mermaid? God, I can't believe I just said that," says Dean.

"Yesterday," says Weems. "Why? What happened to Nicky?"

"She was murdered," I say.

"What?"

"Weems, I am so sorry," Sully tells him.

"No! She...she was my girl!"

"Sparkle's gone, too."

"Not Sparkle! Dude, that's like our whole posse!"

"I know right? But hey, you're okay. You're okay."

"Okay, all right," says Dean. "So you're all pals. Is there anybody who would have beef with the bunch of you?"

"I've never seen her before in my life," says Weems.

"Wait a second—you saw somebody?" asks Sam.

"Some chick. After she...shivved me, she took off in an old VW Bug."

"So this is a good thing, right?" Sam asks me and Dean.

"Uh, no, this is a great thing," says Dean. "I mean...a manicorn, a freaking mermaid? What am I supposed to do with that? But a chick in a car? That's terra firma. I'm home."

"All right, you and Jo go."

"I gotta ask. Hey, uh, acid wash. What's so special about you?"

"Mermaids dig me?" says Weems, like it's the most obvious thing on the planet.

"No, I mean, why do kids like you?"

"Oh. I play air guitar."

"You play air guitar?" I ask, unconvinced. "Sam plays air guitar. Dean can play it. I can play it."

Weems sits up, and I shit you not, when he starts playing air guitar, legitimate music starts playing, right up until the big finish. The air guitar exhausts him, he grabs his wounded side.

"It's okay, it's okay," Sully tell him. "Good solo, good solo."

"Thanks. Ugh."