Bonus - The Apple Pie Life

The Apple Pie Life

When life deals you a bad hand, you think that getting out of it is impossible. That you're destined to have bad luck for the rest of your life. That you have to fight day to day to survive. You feel that you're never safe, that any day could very well be your last.

I used to feel that way, it comes with bearing the last name Winchester. It took a while to shake that feeling. Now, five years later, I'm proud to say that I can sleep easier at night. I can wake up every morning knowing that my family is alive and well and flourishing.

We're out in the backyard, Fallon is busy chasing butterflies. Her pigtails bounce as she runs. Her younger brother, Robbie, is with his uncles, strengthening his walking skills by going back and forth between them.

Yes, my brothers, Sam and Dean Winchester, have officially called it quits. It took them about as long as I expected. They haven't found their true peace yet, but I know it'll come to them one day. Like my peace, it'll take some time.

We've made it, I think. We finally made it. No more being sucked back in. Mom and Dad would be proud of us, Bobby too. I smile, thinking about all of them. John and Mary Winchester would most certainly love their grandchildren. Fallon is a natural charmer, I'd like to think that's because of me. Robbie is more reserved like his father, and he resembles him a lot. Fallon looks more like me every day, or so Cas and my brothers tell me.

I'm watching from the backdoor window. If anyone had told me I'd have this kind of life, I would've called them a liar and laughed in their face. Sometimes, I still think it's a dream. That all it'll take is a pinch and I'll wake up.

"I feel like we need to upgrade," says Cas. His arms are around me.

"Why?"

"Well, we've got two children, or four if you count your brothers staying."

"It's not permanent, Cas." I turn to him. "It's until they find places of their own. Besides, you don't hear Robbie or Fallon complaining about their uncles hanging around."

"You don't want them gone either because they're easy babysitters."

"Of course." I smile. "But they'll be outnumbered pretty soon."

"I think we can stop the count at three." Cas smiles abashedly.

I laugh. "We will. I promise." I turn back to the sight outside. Now, Sam has Fallon on his shoulders, and she's slapping the top of his head while trying to reach the butterflies that are at her level. Dean's pretending to let Robbie beat him in wrestling in the grass.

This is the most I've seen of my brothers like this. So paternal. So at ease.

"We can always kick one of them out when the baby arrives," Cas muses.

"It'll be one they need if they aren't out of the house before then." I sigh.

I walk out the back door. Dean whispers something into Robbie's ear, and he starts stumbling towards Cas and I. Cas meets him halfway, scooping our son up in his arms. Dean is up off the ground, dusting himself off.

"You gotta watch out for that one," he tells me, looking at Robbie. "He's gonna be a hell raiser."

"If you influence him, I'm sure," I say.

"When are you gonna stop popping out babies?"

I glower at him. "Three is the cap off point, Dean. Trust me. Not sure this body can go through a fourth kid." I rub my distended belly. So far, this baby is the one I've gained the most weight with. Robbie I gained a little less.

"Got any names in mind for this one?"

"Depends on what it is. I'm feeling sentimental." Both my children's names have a piece of friends and family in them: Fallon's middle name, Celeste, is Charlie's real name. Robbie is just a nickname, I figured I'd name him after a father figure. Besides, Robbie fits my child better than Bobby ever will.

"Ever think about giving our parents some spotlight?"

"I've considered it. Maybe a middle name, though." I purse my lips. I glance to find Cas and Sam having Fallon and Robbie play fight on their shoulders. I sigh. "We'll see when the time comes."

"You guys have it good here," says Dean. "Real generous of you to keep us in it."

"You're family." I shrug. "Besides, beats having the Impala as a home." My brothers haven't been in the bunker in Lebanon for years, not since I got pregnant with Robbie. It's become a ghost town now, empty of Men—and Women—of Letters. If there are any legacies, they can take up the mantel.

The universe must really like us to give us this after years of monsters, blood, heartbreak, and death.

The Winchester legacy is going to flourish in a peaceful way. Not with a bang or a whimper, just a casual glide into old age.     

**Call it what you want, a bonus or an epilogue part 2, or actual epilogue, but I think it's pretty fitting. Jo's married, will have three kids, and her brothers get to be proper uncles to their niece and nephew. 

An ending I'm sure y'all, myself included, can get behind.**