16. In the Devil's Den

"No..." I whisper in horror. "This can't be happening."

Now I really want to vomit. Lucifer has been feeding Sam visions all this time? Why would God want to send us to Hell, anyway? How come we didn't see that fucking red flag?

Lucifer chuckles. "So I...I guess I am your only hope."

"It's never going to happen."

"Ah, well, settle in there, buddy." He smiles. "Hey, roomies...Upper bunk? Lower bunk? Or you wanna share? I'm not opposed, though it'll be a tight fit if it's all three of us."

I feel like the breath has been knocked out of me. I part from Sam, running my hands along the bars in a panic. No. No. I can't be in Hell again. Not again. I can't be here again. No.

"Don't panic, Jo-Jo." I spin around and throw a punch when I feel Lucifer's hand on my shoulder. He catches my wrist. "We're gonna get to know each other a lot better."

"You?" Sam whispers to Lucifer. "The visions...everything...it was all you?"

Still holding my wrist, Lucifer twists to look at my little brother. "Impressive, right?"

"And Rowena?" I ask coldly.

"Did as she was told. Groupies...they're always so eager."

"I'm gonna kill that bitch."

"So you did all of that just to...to what...jump my bones?" asks Sam.

"Literally," says Lucifer.

"Well, you wasted your time then. You see I know how this ends."

"Oh, do you now?"

"Yeah. You'll taunt me and you'll, ah, torture me, and I'll say no. Then you'll move on to Jo to try and get a reaction out of me. And eventually, sooner than you think, our brother's gonna walk through that door and kick your ass."

Lucifer laughs. "Dean? You're betting on Dean?"

"I always have."

"Oh, Sam. You got me all wrong."

I snort. "I doubt that."

"No. No. I'm not here to torture either of ya. I mean I could." I yelp as I feel his fingers press tightly around my wrist. The pain is making me buckle to my knees. "I could inflict pain like you can't even imagine. I could inflict such delicious perfect pain." I gasp once he releases my wrist. I cradle it to my chest. "But that was so five years ago. No. I'm not going to harm a glorious little hair on that glorious little head."

"Then what do you want?" I ask, moving away from Lucifer towards Sam.

"To make an offer he can't refuse. You see, Sam, you need me, and I'm gonna prove it to you. To both of you."

"Get the fuck away from me."

"Easy, Jo-Jo. Like I said, I'm not out to torture you."

When Lucifer puts a hand to my forehead and Sam's, there's a flash of light. The cage is now gone, the darkness is as well. We're in a park, the sun shining down on us. I can smell the grass and the fresh air. But this can't be real. This has to be a trick. For now, I guess, I'll take the trick over that cage in Hell.