20.5 - "I Solemnly Swear Not to Hunt Like a Dumbass."

20.5 – "I Solemnly Swear Not to Hunt Like a Dumbass."

"Here, let me put another bandage on it before you go," Alex tells me.

We all made it to the hospital in one piece. Jody got her broken leg tended to, and I got myself all stitched up and ready to go. My stay was a bit longer, though, due to having a concussion (damn my brother for being right).

Now, we're all back at Jody's place. My brothers and I are about to leave fairly soon.

"All right," I tell her.

"Let's peel this off." Carefully, without tugging on my skin too much, Alex pulls the bandage off. I flinch as the cold cloth dabs on the wound. "Got to make sure it's not infected."

"Right. Wouldn't want that."

"Listen, I'm sorry..."

"This isn't your fault, Alex. It's not."

"Don't look, keep your neck stretched out." She taps on the new bandage. "You guys got hurt. Claire got bit, you nearly died, and Jody got her leg broke..."

"It's the nature of what we do. We face death every case." I shrug. "Thanks, kiddo. And hey," I nudge her, smiling, "you and Claire made a pretty decent team back there. But, from one woman to another, don't pursue it. Go to school. College. Find someone who's not a vampire." She laughs at that. "And always respect Jody."

"You don't need to tell me this."

"Oh, don't worry, Claire is having this talk too. I guarantee it. So, any college plans? Thinking about being a doctor?"

"Not sure yet. We'll just have to see what comes my way."

I reach over, hugging her with one arm. "You behave and try not to give Jody gray hairs."

"Again, wrong girl, Jo."

"Be good, okay?"

"You stay alive."

I smile sadly. "No promises, but I'll try my hardest."

I step outside of the house, with Alex in tow, finding Dean talking to Claire. Claire catches my eye and looks away. She got lucky, her wound healed nicely. Mine is a bit deeper.

"You look better," Claire notes.

"I feel it."

"Before you say anything, you can skip the lecture. You don't have to worry, I know what I have. You shoulda seen Jody take out that vamp, she would have taken a bullet for me."

"That's what mothers do," I say.

"Does that mean you're gonna make her life less hellish?" asks Dean.

Claire smiles a little. "I solemnly swear not to hunt like a dumbass."

"That's my girl," I say proudly.

"Jody said that she's gonna teach me to vet leads, and teach me how to investigate...She thinks I'm gonna get myself killed."

Nearby, Jody and Sam come out of the house, Jody on crutches, and Sam's arms full of food containers. They just can't resist homemade food. Guess this means I'll have to hoard my own stash and fend my brothers off.

"You all right?" Sam asks Jody.

"Yeah, thanks."

"Guys! Got ribs! And, uh, three tubs of sauce, 'cause you're not touching mine."

"Hell yeah!" I say.

"Made it for dinner last night, didn't get to eat it, what with the multiple kidnappings," Jody says nonchalantly.

"It's a good excuse, at least."

I notice Alex standing near the Impala. Sam goes to briefly chat with her. The rest of us slowly make our way to the car.

"You gonna be all right now that you're outnumbered again?" I ask Jody.

"Ah, as long as everyone wears a condom, we'll be fine."

Dean chuckles. "I want that bumper sticker."

Jody and the girls see us off. I keep the food containers with me in the backseat as Dean drives off.

"You touch any of our food, Jo, and you're gonna start a war," Dean jokes threateningly.

"Same goes for you boys," I say. "I mean it. Nobody touches my food."

"Wouldn't dream of it. Our badass sister, nearly dying at the hands of a vampire."

"Oh, shut up, asshat."

"Punk."

"Jerk," Sam jumps in.

"Bitch."