14. Sam's Insane Plan (AKA His Death Wish)

I feel a strong headache coming on. Considering the topic is one of insanity, I'm surprised I haven't gotten a freaking migraine.

It's not every day where your little brother is trying to convince his siblings that he wants to go see Lucifer in Hell.

"Because it's crazy, okay!" Dean shouts at Sam. We're in the bunker library. "And it's not going to happen. How many times do I have to say that this is a horrible idea?"

"About as many as I have to say, okay then what else have we got?" Sam retorts. "Listen, I'm all ears. Dean, ordinarily I'd agree with you, but the visions only happen when I reach out to God. I asked him for a way to beat the Darkness and the visions got more specific—and I was in the Cage."

"Yeah, with Lucifer. The biggest monster ever hatched. Fan-freaking-tastic!"

"You know Lucifer was the biggest monster ever hatched, until you and I hatched one that's even worse. Listen, in the vision, Lucifer touches me and I feel calm, like things will be all right. And that's not something I would ever come up with. I mean that is the last thing that I would ever feel."

"Not that I'm an expert on the Devil here," I interject, "but if Lucifer touched you, it would be the last thing you think. Ever."

"See?" says Dean, getting up from the table to pour himself some whiskey. "Jo gets it."

"Why would God even ask this of you?" I ask my little brother. "What proof do we have that any of this is actually real?"

"There was a burning bush," says Sam.

"A burning bush?"

"Like in the Bible."

"You were in the forest. There are bushes there and sometimes they burn!" Dean insists. He sits back at the table. "You know what, man? Maybe there is something to it all, maybe, and maybe there's not."

"Dean, doesn't it make sense? I mean, Lucifer would know how God ended the Darkness. He was there."

"That still doesn't make it a good idea, Sammy," I say softly. "Look, I would rather find an alternative if it means you don't come into contact with Lucifer."

"Find an alternative, then, and then we can discuss it."

I snort. "No need to be a stubborn ass about it."

"All I'm saying is that we need to make sure this can happen. That I can get into the Cage and talk to him."

I bite down on my lip. "And how do you suggest we test that out?"

"Well, we do know the King of Hell."

I rub my eyes. This conversation feels too exhausting to try and continue arguing with Sam on this. "Great, in order to go through with one headache, we got to talk to another." I sigh. "All right, if it pleases you, we'll talk to Crowley and get his 'professional' opinion about it."

But I have a feeling I know what the King of Hell will say.

* * *

We don't have Crowley in the bunker, we meet him in a neutral location. And by neutral location, I mean under a bridge, near a homeless encampment.