24. The Cabin from Hell

I swing at the werewolf who tries to snap its fangs at me. Dean whistles for it and lures it away from me, while Sam is busy getting himself thrown into a table in this cabin we're holed up in.

We've found the victims, two, male and female, strung up and alive, but we also have found their werewolf kidnappers as well.

Each time I get close to the victims, one of the werewolves redirects me by swinging at me or trying to bite me. You don't want one of those things so much as touching you.

I decide to help aid Dean, who's trying to not get bit by the werewolf. As my brother misses with a swing, I take a shot, but the werewolf grabs my arm. I rip it away before it can figure out what to do with it. I duck, allowing the werewolf to hit Dean across the face, but I send a punch to the werewolf's gut while I glance up and see my brother's fist connect with its face.

Dean and I tag team this werewolf, taking turns throwing punches. It's almost kind of fun, you know, except we can easily be turned into a werewolf or, you know, die.

I shove the werewolf off Dean as it grabs him by the throat. In retaliation, it sends me flying into a wall and Dean into a glass cabinet. The glass shatters all around, keeping me temporarily out of the fight. But my brother seems to have a decent upper hand; he keeps striking the werewolf.

As the one werewolf is down, I turn to see Sam stab his werewolf he's been wrestling with. The body doesn't stir.

Bang. At first, I think I've been shot, but I don't feel anything. I don't see any red protruding from me.

Instead, my mouth hangs open in a silent scream as I see my little brother spurt blood from his stomach, crumpling to his knees. As this is going on, Dean kills the second werewolf.

"Shit!" I panic, rushing to my little brother's aid. "Jesus Christ. Dean!"

"Stay with him!" Dean runs out of the cabin.

"Hey, hey, Sammy," I say calmly. "Hey, just, hold on, okay? Dean's getting the first aid kit. Okay? Hey, hey." I tap his cheeks and hold his face. "Come on, Sammy."

"All right, all right." Dean's at my side, first aid kit.

"Dean, Jo, they, uh..."

I look back at the couple, who are well awake. "Okay, just hold tight, you two, okay?" I say, focusing back on Sam.

"All right, listen, we got to get that bullet out of there, okay?" says Dean. "This is gonna hurt like hell."

"Oh, yeah." Sam groans.

"Give me that," I say to Dean. "Might need this." I give Sam a bandage to bite down on. As extra measure, I hold his hand too. I focus on my little brother as I hear Dean fishing around for the bullet. "He's working on it. He's working on it." I look at Dean. "Can you work a little faster?"

"You go ahead and do it, Jo, by all means!" Dean snaps at me. "Okay, okay. All right. Almost got it. Almost got it." I almost have to hold Sam down as he writhes, groaning in pain. "Right there. Come on, come on! Okay, there we go. There we go. Look at that, huh? Hey!"

Sam spits out the bandage, nearly hitting me with it. I see the bloody bullet in Dean's red hand.

"Well, you know what?" Dean continues. "We got to keep that one. That one's gonna be a little memento. We'll laugh about it sometime later."