41. Waiting on the World to End...Or Not

"Well, this looks promising," I note bluntly as Sam pulls up to a restaurant called "The Lazy Shag". I'm not kidding about the name.

All Impala passengers shuffle out of the car. I notice the big "Closed" sign on the door. A man walks by, bearing a sign that says "The End Is Near".

"He's not wrong," Crowley comments. He sighs, looking at the restaurant. "One little apocalypse and they shut up shop. Quitters." With a snap of the King of Hell's fingers, the doors swing open. "Your round, moose."

This place has recently been evacuated. I flick the lights on, and Rowena and Crowley take stools up at the bar, flicking on the TV. The news is on, no surprise there. All eyes seem transfixed on the small screen above.

"And while law enforcement is telling people not to panic, residents are being advised to stay in their homes as authorities are baffled by this st—" The TV is shut off with a snap of Crowley's fingers.

"Boring," he mutters.

I steal a glance at Chuck, nudging Cas. "He looks horrible." I look around the place. "Any chance you can magic up some music to make this less depressing, Crowley?"

"What am I, your maid?" But he obliges anyway.

I look through the windows. Outside is darkening, and not from a coming storm. Time is running out. Dean, as much as I hate to think it, pull through. Please pull through.

I notice Cas has taken seat at one of the many empty tables. Chuck has himself resting in a booth, his color fading by the minute. I feel unnerved by seeing God dying. Any religious person would have a heart attack if they believed half of the stuff I've seen and the people that I've met in the recent years.

"You mind?" I ask Cas, gesturing to the open seat next to him. He shakes his head, and I plop myself down. I sigh. "Guess it's a nice place to be for the end of the world."

"Why are you so stubborn?"

"What?"

"You could've gone anywhere. You should've stayed in the bunker."

"Oh, you mean the un-warded bunker? The one that Amara snuck herself into and kidnapped me from?" I lick my lips. "Cas, if this is the end, I want it to be with people I love. I don't want to be alone in my last what-have-yous on Earth." I grab his hand, squeezing tightly. "If I can't run from this, why bother?"

"Grim thoughts, Josette."

I shrug. "You call them grim, I call them realistic." I put my head on his shoulder. "Does it ever get old, being threatened with the end of times?"

"I wish. This is just as different from the last." Cas moves our intertwined hands to rest on my stomach. I smile meekly as the baby kicks at us. "I'm sorry, Josette."

"Sorry? For what?" I run my thumb over his hand.

"For what's happened to you."

"Cassie..."

"I'm the reason you got pulled back into all this."

I pick my head up, looking at him softly. "You're not. You didn't make the choice for me, I did. And you know what? As bad as things may seem right now, I don't regret the choices I've made. If we go, I'll go out happy knowing that I've helped people, and mended my relationships with my brothers, and met amazing people along the way. If this world ends, I think it's telling me something."