6~ Should Have Just Gone To Bed

"Perfect!"

Daisy spun me around again, her eyes glistening.

"You look perfect. He's so going to want you by the end of the night." She grinned, giving me a gentle shove toward the door. I tugged at the end of my dress as I stomped toward the attic stairs, tapping them slightly.

"I'm ready!" I called up. I was relieved that the boys weren't home, they had all gone to the football game at the school, including my Dad.

"Okay, I'll be. . . what the hell are you wearing?" I could see Daisy smiling proudly as River walked paused in front of us, his eyes on the tight dress I was wearing.

"Absolutely not." He whirled around to face Daisy, "She's sixteen, not twenty-three. Why the hell would you put her in something like this?" He growled. She gestured toward me with her hand, letting me respond.

"She didn't. I did. It was one of my mom's old dresses." I snapped, irritated. What right did he have saying what I could or couldn't wear?

"Here." He avoided my eyes as he held out a small box to me. I heard Daisy burst out laughing beside me as I took them from him.

"You're kidding me?" I said, "Condoms? God, River. Not everything is about sex!" He rolled his eyes at me.

"When you're dressed like that, Scarlet, I can definitely say you'll either be a complete tease or you'll have sex by the end of the night." I threw the box back at him, proud of myself when they hit him right in the forehead. He made an inhuman sound and shoved the box back into my hands.

"You're not getting pregnant. Take the damn condoms, okay? And Daisy, give her one of your birth control pills." I opened my mouth, ready to yell, but Daisy nudged me slightly with her elbow.

"He's right, babe. You never know what can happen. Come on, let's get out of here before the Three Stooges get home." She threw her arm around me, leading me toward the door. She waited until we were a safe distance away from River to lean toward me and whisper in my ear.

"He's staring at your ass." I tried to ignore the comment, but ended up shaking my head and smiling as the door shut behind us.

*

"You like the concert?" Issac pretty much had to scream over the wind, his long black hair flying around his face, masking it so I couldn't see his expression.

"It was pretty good." It had been one of the worst experiences of my life.

Not only had everyone in there nearly deafened me, but I had felt a few people grind against me, and I was pretty sure Issac was one of them. But I couldn't dwell on any of that, Daisy had warned me. She had said that was what all first concerts felt like.

"Pretty good? I thought it was fucking amazing." He replied once we were back in front of his car.

I wrapped my arms around myself as I forced a smile on to my face, regretting the fact that I hadn't brought a jacket.

"You smoke?" He asked, one of his eyebrows arching as he took in my current state. I probably looked horrible. My hair had blown just as wildly as his had, my teeth were chattering, probably smearing my lipstick.

"No." I said quietly, hoping he wouldn't ask again. The only time I had ever smoked had been with River behind the school when I was in eighth grade, and it had been a terrible experience. I wouldn't ever do it again.

"So are you and Moore a thing?" Issac said through the cigarette in his mouth, digging through his jacket pockets for a lighter. I shook my head, rubbing my arms.