23~ Life After Love

I avoided Caleb and River for the next couple weeks.

It was pretty easy considering I rarely saw River, and Caleb was in and out of the house now like it was his second nature. I found out that he had been sleeping in Daisy's place for a while, and hadn't said a word about it to anyone. She wasn't even supposed to tell me.

"I'm worried about him, Scarlet. He's acting different." Daisy said now, her eyes on the football field over my shoulder.

"What do you mean? Is he okay?" I asked, worry starting to get the better of me. I should be avoiding him for sticking his nose where it shouldn't have been.

"I think he feels guilty about you and River. He keeps asking me if he should talk to River again, just so he can get back with you." I couldn't hold back my shock.

"I'm done being someone that everyone can just walk all over, Daze." I snapped, "I don't want River and I don't want my brother to treat me like crap because he thinks he can." I replied. I didn't have to get into detail, thanks to my best friend and her amazing skills of knowing exactly what I'm thinking.

"I get it, chica. I, for one, respect you for it. You don't need a boyfriend right now, you're all good by yourself." I smiled across the table at her, sighing quietly.

"Yeah, I don't need him." And soon I know I'd actually believe that.

*

I helped Collin fix some leak in the roof when we got home, occasionally looking up at the overcast to make sure it didn't turn into anything more than that.

"We're finally done." He groaned as he sat down, wiping at the sweat that was dripping down his forehead. I tied my hair up in a ponytail as I nodded, relieved that it was finally over.

"So I got a letter from the University of Denver today." He mumbled, trying to make small talk.

"What?" I turned to him with wide eyes, "That's great, Col. Did you get accepted?" I had known that he had sent in an application a few months ago, but he hadn't gotten a response, so I hadn't brought it up.

"Yeah, but I'm not going." He said, his voice still quiet. I stared at him in confusion, shaking my head.

"Why? Collin, you've been waiting to go for the last two years. I'm not a baby anymore, bro. I can take care of myself." He started laughing, staring up at the dark sky.

"Carls, I'm not worried about you. I know you're fine on your own. I'm worried about what's going to happen to this place if I leave. Steve can barely fix the chain on a toilet, Caleb is never here, and you shouldn't have to worry about doing any of that." I waved off what he said, smiling as reassuringly as possible.

"We'll be fine, Collin. I promise." I squeezed his hand. He rested his chin on my head, sighing.

"Sometimes when I have absolutely no idea what to do, I talk to Damon. He doesn't answer, obviously. But sometimes it just helps me clear my head." I nodded, feeling a familiar churn in my stomach at the mention of his name.

"Scarlet!" Steven's voice cut me off just as I opened my mouth. I looked down to find him staring up at us, Mia standing beside him with a shy smile.

"River's here!" He shouted again. I rolled my eyes and I swear I saw Collin do the same.

"You need help getting rid of him?" He asked.

"No, I think I can handle it." After climbing back down the ladder carefully I stopped in front of the house and stared at River. He was sitting on the first step of the porch, his eyes on the wooden stair beneath him.