Epilogue

"You know what sucks even more? That our boyfriends both live two hours from here." Daisy said, talking quickly again.

I looked up from where I was trying to fix a sleeve on my graduation gown, giving my best friend a worried look. She had decided to shake all her nerves by rambling on and on about how she didn't believe Caleb or River were going to show up to our graduation.

"Daze, they'll make it. I promise." I don't know exactly why I promised something I wasn't entirely sure of. River had promised, but it was also around exam time for one of his classes and he wasn't sure he'd make it on time. Caleb, well, Collin had said he would force him here if he had too.

"Don't say that. I mean, what if something came up and they don't and-"

"Daisy, they'll show up. Calm down." She finally lifted her head up from where she had been staring down at the ground and looked at me with tear filled eyes.

"I'm scared." I felt my nervousness grow worse at that. Daisy Vargas, the fearless, was scared to graduate? Then how should I be feeling?

"Steven!" I jumped up at the sound of Mia's voice, my eyes scanning the room for her. She was slapping Steve's arm, shaking her head as she stared up at her fiance with big eyes.

"Mia! Steve!" I threw my arms around my older brother before hugging Mia.

"You look amazing!" She gushed, gesturing toward my gown, "I still remember our graduation last year. Are River and Caleb here yet?" She asked, grinning. I was about to shake my head when I heard a familiar laugh.

"I'm here!" Collin walked in, some girl I hadn't met before clinging to his arm, "With fifteen minutes to spare. You're welcome." He winked as he pulled me into a hug, then hugged Daisy.

"I'm Nina." The blonde girl said, extending her hand out to me, "You must be Scarlet. I've heard a lot about you." I smiled, shaking her hand. She told me a few things about herself before gushing on about how amazing my brother was. Of course I had to agree.

"Sorry, I've gotta take this." I excused myself the minute my phone rang. I hurried away from the crowd and answered.

"River?" I said.

"Hey, Carls." I could hear the sound of honking in the background, "I don't know if I'll be able to make it to your graduation. I should at least be there for the party." He said, before whispering something to what I assume was Caleb.

"Okay." I finally managed to say, "Drive safe." I was about to hang up, but he said something that caught me off guard before I could.

"I'm really sorry, Carls. I promise I'll make it up to you tonight." I sighed, pushing my hair out of my eyes as I started to make my way back toward my family.

"It's fine, Riv. Really. Just be careful, I'll see you tonight."

**

"Is that them?" Daisy asked.

"Nope."

"Is that them?"

"Nope."

"Is that them?"

"N-wait! Yes!" I flew up, grabbing Daisy's arm so she could join me. She let out a cry when her bag of Taki's fell to the floor.

"You are so buying me another bag, chica." She muttered before we both jogged out toward the car that had just pulled up. Daisy threw herself into Caleb's arms before he even had a chance to completely get out of the car. I waited until River had walked around the car to throw myself into his open arms.

"I feel so loved." He whispered, kissing my cheek.

"You missed my amazing speech!" I said, pulling away and taking in his appearance.

He had been gone almost three months, and during that time he must have gone on a no shaving strike, because he had a five o' clock shadow around his cocky grin.

"You can tell me it after you're done moaning my name in bed tonight, babe." I blushed and looked up to find Daisy smiling creepily and my brother sending River a glare.

"I hear enough of you moaning her name every time you get yourself off, man. I don't need to hear her moaning your name now too." River kissed my forehead as my cheeks grew warmer.

"Then I highly suggest you find somewhere to sleep tonight." Daisy had already started to drag him away before he could say anything else to River. I made a mental note of hugging my brother and talking to him when I got the chance.

"You ready to go back to your place?" River asked. I sent a quick look at the party over my shoulder before nodding and laying my head against his shoulder.

"Yeah. Let's go."

**

"Shit." River gasped, propping himself up on his elbow beside me, "That was great." I smiled, my fingers lacing between is.

"I missed you." I whispered.

"I missed you too." He responded, kissing the mark he had left on his neck. "Way more then you could imagine." He added. I shook my head, gesturing toward the door.

"I think I can imagine it just fine after what Caleb said." I moved my hand away with a laugh, "Should I even be touching this hand?" He rolled his eyes.

"I can't wait to get an apartment with you." He traced his finger along my arm, "Then we can do this any time we want."

"I think you're getting to ahead of yourself. How do you even know I'm going to DU." He snickered.

"Of course you're going to DU. You've been talking about it the last few times we talked, Carls." I sighed, a small smile planting itself on my face.

"And what makes you think I'm going to want to live with you?" I joked, giving him a playful look.

"I don't know. Maybe the fact that you don't want to live in a dorm and I've been your boyfriend for the last three years. That could have something to do with it." I let him pull me against his chest, my hand running along his jawline.

"You look sexy." I kissed him before going on, "You look like a man now." He gave me an offended look but went a different direction with the conversation.

"I didn't think you'd like it. Caleb was telling me how much Daisy hated feeling stubble on her face when kissing him." I blinked in surprise.

"Do you guys talk about us all the time?" I asked.

"No. Just whenever a subject that involves you two comes up." I stared up at him, smiling.

"Well, I think you look sexy. I love it." I said, rolling back over on to my back to look up at the ceiling.

"Things are going to change now." I said my thoughts out loud, feeling River lay down beside me.

"It'll be for the better, Carls." He answered.

"You can't promise that." He turned my face in his direction, his eyes dangerously dark.

"I can't promise anything about life, nobody can! Scarlet, you've got to experience some stuff to know what living feels like. You can't be a scared little girl that's afraid of the big bad world forever." He ran a finger along my lip, "And I'll be here to protect you through it all, okay? I can promise that." I nodded, burying myself against him. He wrapped his arms around me, kissing the top of my head as the room finally fell into a peaceful silence. It wasn't until he reached over me to turn out the light that I realized that this was it. The final night I'd be spending in my room, the final time I'd be in my own bed.

But River was right, this was all for the best. This was life, and I'm going to start living it.

***AN***

Here it is guys! 

Hope you enjoyed!

If you have any ideas for the next book, let me know! I'd love to hear them!

~ChasingMadness24