16~ Here

The house was filled with over a hundred drunk teenagers that didn't seem to understand what personal space was.

I had felt hands on me multiple times, and the alcohol on everyone's breath made my mood worsen.

River had disappeared into the house the second we got here, as if he'd been in it a thousand times and knew exactly where to go.

"This was a stupid idea." I said to myself, probably looking like a crazy person. I was about to walk into the kitchen to find something to drink, but stopped when I saw familiar Mickey Mouse buns.

What is Daisy doing here? Hadn't she said something about going to visit her grandmother?

I was just about to call out to her when I saw the guy that she was flirting with. I recognized the dark brown hair that curled slightly at the end, I recognized the Letterman jacket that hung off Daisy's shoulders.

"Caleb." I said, astonished. He was supposed to be with Collin and Steve in Lake Tahoe, what the hell was he doing here with my best friend?

"Hey, you ready to fight?" River's voice snapped me back into reality, I shook my head.

"We can't."

"Why?" River seemed genuinely surprised by my answer. I pointed toward the living room, at the couple that looked as if nothing in the world could touch them.

"Oh." River replied, "So what does that have to do with us?" He added quietly.

"My brother is here, you idiot. I don't want him to know-"

"If I do this, he'll know before school tomorrow. It doesn't matter if he's here or not." I started to walk away, toward the front door. I wasn't going to be seen by Caleb at this party, I'd get a lecture about how bad High School parties are from Collin.

As I made my way out on to the lawn, I could feel tears starting to burn my eyes. Why would Daisy lie to me? Why would my own brother lie to me?

"Scarlet, wait." River grabbed my arm and spun me around to face him in the middle of the lawn.

"What? I'm just going to call an UBER." I wrapped my arms around myself, trying to ignore the cold nipping at my cheeks and arms.

"I'll drive you back home." River offered.

"No. Please just leave me alone, River." I backed away from him, biting the inside of my lip to keep myself from crying.

I had never been a very emotional person, I had always tried to stay strong and had only cried a few times in my life. One of the times being when I got the news about Damon, it had torn me to shreds.

Now, now I felt nothing other then a strange feeling of betrayal. Not only had my brother lied to my face, but my best friend had too.

"Scarlet, let me take you. It's cold out here." River was grabbing my arm again, and no matter how hard I tried to pull away, his grip was too tight.

"I don't want people to see me getting in a car with you." I whispered, finally meeting his worry filled eyes.

"Why are you crying? Are you serious right now? Scarlet. . ." He trailed off when I bowed my head, avoiding him again.

"Is it because of Caleb and your friend? Scarlet, they aren't worth you sitting and crying over. They probably didn't want to tell you because they were afraid of how you might act." He said, desperate to stop me from crying, "And look, even if they did lie to you, they were never trying to hurt you, Carls. You look like this helpless little kitten when you cry, nobody wants to see that." A laugh escaped me before I could stop it.